Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T the largest part

mayday

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

This was not something I did but it was something one of my old customers did.

While I worked for the local MC reseller, one of my customers (Allied Mechanical) was machining Submarine Hulls (32 FEET in Diameter) on a VTL. Is that big? wink.gif

A 1/2 gallon mug of Rum & Coke!! eek.gif

Oh, machined parts? Not very big, maybe 60" or so square, 1" thick.

Lot's of small, highly detailed stuff. (Much preferred over big, sloppy, hard to handle parts)

'Rekd teh difference between welders and machinists is that welders make big stuff from small stuff, and machinists make small stuff from big stuff

Simple part really - about 30 ft long, Fabrication shop couldn't hold tolerance on a bridge plate 3/4" thick with 1-1/2" Diamter holes - 24" Width, 30 ft long. Had to do the part in sections on a Hillyer CNC200 Gantry machine and repostion the part every 60 inches.

Sure wish I had a nice floor bore to do it all in one setup.

The biggest machine tools i ever saw were in Karls krona in Sweden 100m ton VTL's. they had an 800m gantry crane above the shop floor that could go right out the wall of the shop to load seagoing vessels eek.gif

The biggest mill was a gantry mill at the old De Laval Turbine plant in Trenton, NJ. It had an 80 foot long bed.

The biggest single part that I've made was about 100 + pound alumninum bar machined down to about 3 1/2 pound part. Should have been made out of sheet stock. rolleyes.gif

/darn engineers