Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma TurnCut

Just recently got exposed to this....The product line I am working on makes alot of use of this function. Great idea...tho it has limitations (RPM being the main one). I know that other companies have a "U" axis or interface with a "U" axis device (downside to the device route is if you have to have multiple size bars=multiple heads=$$$). I some cases on our products we have eliminated 5 seperate custom tools & sped up the process because of this ability.

Are any of Okuma's competitors doing something similar?

Check about 30 seconds in the vid to get an idea of what it is

Here is a good turncut video we did of a machine on our floor last year. The turncut feature adds Supernurbs processing to the control to hold roundness. Your final speed is going to be dependent on the size of the circle the machine is making. For bigger diameters you will be able to carry much higher SFM. In the demo we were able to hold 600 SFM with the cutting tip and hold .0005 roundness. One cool thing is you program the toolpath in G18 plane just like a lathe toolpath and a tool offset is assigned to that tool so you can adjust just like a lathe, IE, if you want to cut another .001 of your diameter you adjust .001 in the offset.

Ahh I see now.

That's pretty cool! But it seems like it would be highly situational since a lathe is still so much faster.

Yes it is really great for certain parts but as you said turning can be so much faster. It is really suited for oil-field type large valves that can't be turned very well because of their size. On large diameters you can match the same SFM as you would in a lathe with the part stationary. On non-symmetrical part that don't turn well it is a huge advantage.

That's pretty bitchin! Is that available for VMCs or only horizontals?

Only horizontals, I asked and was told that there were no plans for verticals at this point.

On non-symmetrical part that don't turn well it is a huge advantage.

This is where we use it....it would be a nightmare to try to fixture these parts on a lathe....plus then you are adding operations.

I have yet to see any other mfg out there (specifically Fanuc powered machines) offer this. Maybe some potential for future development.

Here is a good turncut video we did of a machine on our floor last year. The turncut feature adds Supernurbs processing to the control to hold roundness. Your final speed is going to be dependent on the size of the circle the machine is making. For bigger diameters you will be able to carry much higher SFM. In the demo we were able to hold 600 SFM with the cutting tip and hold .0005 roundness. One cool thing is you program the toolpath in G18 plane just like a lathe toolpath and a tool offset is assigned to that tool so you can adjust just like a lathe, IE, if you want to cut another .001 of your diameter you adjust .001 in the offset.

Now that vid is a very good example of what this is all about. Imagine that part being part of a weldment that had 3 of those in a pattern. No way to realistically turn the feature. You could generate the geometry with some custom tooling on a "conventional" machine....but this is a much more elegant & cost effective solution.

At my new gig they have been using this to just do smaller diameters (all ID work, with very long length to dia ratio's....single point boring bars are far superior to a multi-flute form tool in this case) I am pushing to use this for more applications...we will see how that goes.

• 1 year later...

I saw a Fanuc powered Doosans and Kitamuuras running a similar function at IMTS but not one sales guy understood what the heck I was talking about when I wanted more info.

Mike

It is a control option offered by Fanuc. IIRC it is called CS Contouring. Any builder using Fanuc controls and servos can choose to add that as an option. There are a few things to consider that Okuma does that I'm not sure if these other builders do.

1. In an Okuma with TurnCut the machine has to have chilled ballscrews. With that kind of quick interpolation the ball screws will heat up and sizing will become an issue.

2. In an Okuma with TurnCut the option includes enhanced processing capabilities for TurnCut. This allows the control to use the advanced algorithms to ensure an accurate circle is being interpolated.

Guest MTB Technical Services

This functionality basically eliminates the need for using a contouring head attachment in a mill.

It's still common to find companies that manufacture oil field components to use contouring heads on very large HBMs.

The most typical application of contouring heads down here is for turning the BX API Ring Grooves.

This is one area where Okuma has it hands down over almost everyone.

There is a version of Turn-Cut on the MU 5-axis machines where the rotary platter becomes a turning spindle.

Very cool stuff.

I can think of jobs in the past where I had to set up 4 or 5 different dial bore heads for each pallet in a horizontal. With Turncut these could have been done with 1 or 2 capto boring bars. Now instead oh having to have three different 2.5-3.0 inch boring heads or whatever common size on your parts, you can use one tool. No more having to teach operators how to read dial bore heads and account for back off and spring when they adjust. With TurnCut it is just an offset adjustment. You want another .001 size in a bore, you add .001 to the offset. You can easily use gauge or probe feedback to adjust. I would have loved to have this option at my disposal in the past.