Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advance 5x toolpaths

gcode

I'm working on a large Ti part this morning.

A large half sphere with 4 bosses coming out at an angle.

The machine is a 3+2 double rotary HBM

I was roughing the area where the bosses intersect the sphere.

I started doing it old school, making a full contour pass, figuring out where it entered and exited the stock

and drawing chains for the needed 3D contour passes.

After a half hour of trial and error I decided to try an advanced 5X toolpath.

I made a half sphere surface and a half cylinder and drove a swarf toolpath around it with the toolpath set to 4 axis.

then added 4 .250" depth cuts

Pretty... but it cut a lot of air ...then I defined the stock by selecting an STL file ( no stock model support yet )

regened and WOW

It took a while to get the lead-in/lead-out motion right and get it to post correctly .. but its a sweet toolpath.

perfect stock avoidance and no air time

I can't post a picture of the part, but I will post a Cimco-Edit backplot of the gcode..

I'll be using this more often... hopefully we will be able to select a stock model instead of an stl file in the next release.

post-162-0-02955300-1330892325_thumb.png

Yeah that path is awesome with the stl defined as stock, I have been using that method for a while now. They now, with stock model need to make it where you can define your stock as one of the stock models in the tree, that would make it even better, as it is right now you have to convert the stock model to a polygonal mesh and then select that as your stock. I use these paths all of the time locked down to 3-axis just to get the stock recognition. Works awesome.

Kevin C.

Swarf is really parallel to multiple curves when switch to advanced interface. Also a bunch more options that swarf dont give you when using the stock option. Sad thing about stock model is all my 5x paths are for Integrexes, so the machine def is for Lathe. Stock model only (sort of)works in mill. Most aLL of my parts require turning and 5 axis toolpaths in the same set up