Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Missing Code

Thee Awbade™

So, on our machine today we've noticed we just run out of code.

About 1/4th of the way through a program, the machine will just stop. Spindle keeps running, just no movement.

Looking at the controller shows no more code lines on the executing program.

Looking at the code outside of that shows a full program..

We can't figure out why it keeps doing this... (It's done it 3-4 times today, Anywhere from the middle of a program, to near the end, one was at the very start.)

Any help would be appreciated.

We're using a xxxxor Automation CNC 8055 M Controller

Hmm, we don't use sub-routines or anything like that. All of the stuff we do is one-offs and we move every operation to the machine individually. So inside of that one operation it'll stop.

It does it on normal code too, just Coordinates, no G-code or anything like that. We've got kind of a run-around solution, of writing down the block# it disappeared at and editing the Post to continue the operation where it stopped. If we look at the code on the machine, it's all there but when we execute it, it just disappears.

Hmm, we don't use sub-routines or anything like that. All of the stuff we do is one-offs and we move every operation to the machine individually. So inside of that one operation it'll stop.

It does it on normal code too, just Coordinates, no G-code or anything like that. We've got kind of a run-around solution, of writing down the block# it disappeared at and editing the Post to continue the operation where it stopped. If we look at the code on the machine, it's all there but when we execute it, it just disappears.

It sounds like to me that you your memory possibly has gone corrupt (in the controller). I've ran into this myself on a machine that was used for one-offs, we are a custom shop, and so we would load a program, run it and then delete it, load the next, etc. etc. After years of doing this, it did corrupt the memory - however, the controller did have an option to "reformat memory". After doing a reformat, I had no more problems. Note that if you do have the same option, it will erase any program(s) that is currently stored so make sure you back up any programs that you need to keep first!

It sounds like to me that you your memory possibly has gone corrupt (in the controller). I've ran into this myself on a machine that was used for one-offs, we are a custom shop, and so we would load a program, run it and then delete it, load the next, etc. etc. After years of doing this, it did corrupt the memory - however, the controller did have an option to "reformat memory". After doing a reformat, I had no more problems. Note that if you do have the same option, it will erase any program(s) that is currently stored so make sure you back up any programs that you need to keep first!

Awesome, I will suggest this tomorrow when I go into the shop. That is what I was thinking it might be related to, but I didn't know that there was a reformat option.

This might be a silly suggestion, but do a search of your program at the computer for a % sign somewhere in the code before you download it to the machine.

I have accidentally done that before and any code after the % sign seems to have vanished because nothing is transmitted to the controller after that.

Hopefully it is that simple and not corrupt memory.

What are you using to get your programs to the machine? We had some problems at world skills with bad flash drives that would somehow not provide a valid NC file to the machine, but they were valid on the computer prior to copying to the flash drive. We grabbed new flash drives and everythign ran fine. If the program is not stopping at the same point then it could be memory related or something in the communication to the machine. If you ahve access to additional editors, open it up and display in hexidecimal mode and look for a character that shouldn't be there. Start looking at the lines around where it stopped.

What are you using to get your programs to the machine? We had some problems at world skills with bad flash drives that would somehow not provide a valid NC file to the machine, but they were valid on the computer prior to copying to the flash drive. We grabbed new flash drives and everythign ran fine. If the program is not stopping at the same point then it could be memory related or something in the communication to the machine. If you ahve access to additional editors, open it up and display in hexidecimal mode and look for a character that shouldn't be there. Start looking at the lines around where it stopped.

Yeah we found out it was a corrupt Harddrive in our machine. got a new one and it's been running great!

Was quite a stressful weekend working around the clock on our part, AND trying to figure out why we were having problems with the machine.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah we found out it was a corrupt Harddrive in our machine. got a new one and it's been running great!

Was quite a stressful weekend working around the clock on our part, AND trying to figure out why we were having problems with the machine.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Good to see that you got it fixed!! :)