Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

net work posting

We have two seats oh mastercam and we are conected to a network. We would like to save everything to the network as it is in work. When we do this after sending a file to the machine if you need to come back and make changes and repost mastercam gives you a post file error. What I have found is when you send the file to the machine from the network drive it ties up the file until you send a different file or close mastercam completely. We are currently using novel network client but in the future we will be going to window 2000 NT. Is there a way to fix this problem?

We also store all files on a network, but we have not seen this problem. Each machine has it's own computer (a screaming 133 MHZ) for sending to the machine or drip feeding. That way we don't bog down the seat of MC.

Thad

There are two possible causes for your problem. One of them is fixable, the other is not, and will (well, should) work the same regardless of what network operaitng system you use.

The first possible cause is the NetWare client you are using. Some older versions of the NetWare client incorrectly marked files as read-only under some curcumstances, making it kinda troublesome to work with them. Make sure you are using the latest version of Novell's own Intranetware client to avoid that issue. Note that all current NetWare clients can connect with any version of NetWare, even pre-NDS versions like 2.x or 3.x.

The second possible cause is something called file locking. Network operating systems that work correctly will not allow two users to access the same file if one user has the file open in exclusive (read/write) mode. This prevents the file corruption that will occur if two users attempt to write different versions of the same file at the same time.

Sorry it took so long to reply I have been very busy. First I am running V9.1. Second if I post a file to to the network and then make changes and repost the file to the network it works fine. If i post the flie to the network then send it to the machine using the communicating program and then close the communicating program and make changes and try to repost it it will not repost with out close mastercam. The problem is in the communicating portion of mastercam. When you close the communicator it is still attacted to that file until you send a different program or you close mastercam. Third the network will let you read and write. Thanks for all your input it is greatly appreciated.

Are you using mastercam as your DNC?

And if so are you using the standerd MC or the Cimco?

Try both.

I use the Predator DNC on a wireless setup.

My computer holdes the software and the main server holds all file from mastercam files to the NC files, So when they call the file up it routes thru my computer to the network sever to look for the NC code. works great. biggrin.gif

I am using cimco must of the time. I ran into another issue today. drip feeding a allen bradley 8400 control. cimco will not drip feed to this control and mastercam in V8, V9.0 and V9.1 will not drip feed to this control. The only one that will drip feed to this control is the mastercam communicator from V7.2 I keep getting a buffer over flow error. any suggestions?

Airborne,

In the MC communication dialog box put a check in "dos communication mode". Also right click on my computer, go to hardware tab, device manager, open ports, select com port in question, go to port settings tab, advanced button, turn FIFO off.

Whew. This may also fix orignal problem of not releasing the file.

Jimmy