Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mechanical desktop 6 conversion

Oppiz

James,

You got me thinking on this one... I understand that an inventor file is an .ipt extension, I just thought that since MTD & Inventor were made by Autodesk it would read them in just like a .dwg file from autocad. My bad. I tried to pull in a MTD 2004 .dwg (MTD 2004 is the realease that comes with Inventor 7) and it did not come in, but I was able to save from MTD 2004 to a 2000 .dxf and they come in. Learn something new everyday. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I just thought that since MTD & Inventor were made by Autodesk it would read them in just like a .dwg file from autocad.

Yeah, you would think wouldn't you. Software is so crazy like that sometimes.

OPPIZ,

Have you applied all patches? Some of these deal with converters.

Most of the files we get are dwg from MDT 5 or 6 and they import with no problem. Now the designs that are contained in those dwg files....that's a whole 'nother story! biggrin.gif

Thad

[ 07-16-2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

To read MDT 2004 files, you'll need to apply SP1 to MCAM V9.1. I don't recomend using the AutoCAD 2000 DXF format for MDT files, as that conversion is unsupported by Autodesk and may fail to produce a valid part file. i.e. it's likely to bite you in the butt when you need it the most.

[ 07-16-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Rick Damiani ]

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on whether your mechanical desktop file is a 2D, 3D solid, or a surface file. If it is a solid you need to use the step translator in

mechanical desktop 6.0 to get it into mastercam.

If it is one of mechanical desktops NURB surface models you need an IGES file. If it is a autocad 2-D file then it should come in with no problem.

But MC will bring it in if you get the right file type form mechanical

Actually, if you have the appropriate patches applied to MasterCAM, the .DWG translator will handle MDT surfaces, solids, and 'standard' 2D stuff just fine. No additional conversions necessary. STEP is certanly a viable option for the solids (if you really want to do that) but IGES is only a good idea if you are working with a part file. If you have inadvertetnly created a single-part assembly file (as I see lots of people do) the IGES translation will have the boundry curves offset from the surfaces by some apperently random distance.

IGES should generally be your last option, used only when nothing else works.