Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

need drill recommendation

Bob W.

I need to drill some holes in aluminum that are 1/2" diameter and 7" deep. I would like to do it in one shot without pecking and I have 300psi through spindle coolant. I will also be drilling this part from both ends and I need a fairly good match (within .005 from centerline). This is a repeat job but the volume is low (60-80 pcs/year) so I can't justify an extremely expensive drill. Any recommendations on a drill that would accomplish this?

Thanks,

Bob

imo , youll need a pilot drill to maximize the tool life and to keep the drill on center, dormer makes hss drills with tsc holes , osg also makes a deephole drill without coolant holes called the helios this may be cheaper, but ive never used one so..... titex also makes good deep hole drills (xd-16 series), guhring, series 6509 will also be a good choice

I would go with a 4 margin drill to assure alignment.

Jay mentioned a couple that I would recommend.

That's about all I can say about holes without getting in deep sh!t. But we do a few holes here (intersecting, 30xD+) and have it down to an exact science.

Mitsubishi for my likes. Here is a test we did for a customer. We had to slow it down a little from the video (80 IPM vs 110IPM) to hold .005 hole position.

Doug, did you have to follow a bunch of special deep hole procedures for that drill? Or are you slamming it in there with a G81?

Doug, did you have to follow a bunch of special deep hole procedures for that drill? Or are you slamming it in there with a G81?

Joe, the process is as follows.

1. drill/end mill a pilot .001-.002 smaller than drill size about .25 deep.

2. enter hole with drill at 150 rpm and 20 ipm.

3. increase rpm to drill rpm

4. drill through 110 ipm

5. rpm to 150

6. rapid retract.