Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NMV 5000 vs DMC 65

I'd love to include at least 1 or 2 additional machines here ( sorry James ;) ), but those are the choices I was presented with.

Material cut would be 90+% aluminum, and mostly surfacing toolpaths.

Your input as always appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't buy into DMG having any semblance of reasonable parts availability and service just because two companies bought a share of each other. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of purchasing a DMG, unless I had at least a 5 year guarantee on parts and service availability/lead time. Ellison is bad enough at working on Moris, then you're gonna throw in 4X more models, and 2-3 different controls along with it, and expect the techs to handle all of that?

smileywirdgrsser-1.gif

I'd go with the NMV.

even with the NMV though, i have 3 customers and not one tech, that tried to help me and the customer dial in a post, could get on the same page. each tech told the customer that "their" way to run simultaneous motion was the best way. THEN, i get pdf's showing how the use G68's and G43.4's from the factory that were not right. long story short and much thanks to glenn stevens at CCC, we have finally got a great nmv post that actually uses all options in the control. was an absolute nightmare to get this going.

one other note, on of my customers could not get a bore to line up on a very simple part. start at B0 and rotate to B180. tech said it was mastercams code. so my customer programmed the part on the control for the tech to see that mastercam had nothing to do with it. from what i understand, that particular tech has not been back on site.

so, with all of that, i would recommend matsuura or okuma.

one other note, on of my customers could not get a bore to line up on a very simple part. start at B0 and rotate to B180. tech said it was mastercams code. so my customer programmed the part on the control for the tech to see that mastercam had nothing to do with it. from what i understand, that particular tech has not been back on site.

This seems like a dynamic offset issue or rotation c/l location issue(used in macro offset calculator) . Something completely unrelated to the actual machine... Only thing that could be wrong with the machine would be a mechanical issue causing severe run-out in the rotary axis. I highly doubt that... Now the support that comes with the machines. That can be a whole other case. My experience with servicing a Mori is that it is horrendous. It is hard to come by documentation that actually applies 100% to your machine. That said we do not use outside help from our distributor to work on our machines and all of them are 10-15 years old. You can get just about any parts for them, but expect to pay an arm and leg plus your first second and third born children (better to get the wife working on another one)...

Husker

Yeah, I've seen this happen before with the smaller NMV3000. The owner of the machine had a beautiful new Zeiss Contura CMM, so they waited until Ellison was all done, and then dialed in the center of rotation parameters themselves by cutting test parts and making adjustments.

David,

Is something similar available on the Mori NMV?

Mark, the NMV doesn't really need an application like that, because the tilting axis will go 90 degrees in each direction, so it's pretty easy to dial in. Somebody with a good chunk of spare time could write pretty cool macro to do it automatically though.

Dialing it in on a machine that can only go +30/-120 on the A axis is a real joy. :wallbash:

^^^ LOL :thumbdown:

The DMG DMU will go A120 +/- You do not need to go 90 degrees each way to work out centre of rotation of an axis.

Before you bang your head you should understand

That's absolutely correct, you don't need to go 90 degrees each way to find the center of rotation. It's just much easier, simpler, and quicker when you can.