Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 locking up and not closing

ToddF

Im am using x6 and am having an issue with saving my files. The problem is, when I go to save after I have done some work, x6 will just sit there and not let me do anything. Then the error NOT RESPONDING comes up. I try to close out the program and it wont shut down. I try to shut it down through the task manager and it still wont shut down. I try to log off my computer and it wont even let me do that. I have to turn my computer off by pushing the button. Im using Windows 7, 64bit. Any help would be great. Thanks

Are you admin or a user account? Have permissions been set-up correctly? Are you using a nethasp? Do you have power save on? Is the Power management for the USB turned off in device manager? Is the power management for the Ethernet been turn off in the device manager? Are you trying to save to a close place on the network with no write permission? Do you have firewall issues?

Are you admin or a user account? Have permissions been set-up correctly? Are you using a nethasp? Do you have power save on? Is the Power management for the USB turned off in device manager? Is the power management for the Ethernet been turn off in the device manager? Are you trying to save to a close place on the network with no write permission? Do you have firewall issues?

I have a user account with full permissions that are set up correct. Not using a nethasp. Power save is not on. Power management for USD is turned off and Ethernet as well. Saving on the network and also saved it to my hard drive to rule out network problems, but still have the issue.

I get this same issue from time to time. When I update a post and get an error it locks up on me which is between 5-25 times a week. If it doesn't give me an error while updating the post its good and I can continue to use it. I am guessing the reason why this happens for me is because when I update a post and get an error its continuing to check the post for more errors and doesn't know that the update utility has completed.

I know this is not a solution to the problem however to close to software what I do is Ctrl + Alt + Del, pick "Start task Manager", choose "Processes" and then pick Mastercam.exe from the list and choose "End Process" It should close within 3 seconds.

Now in your case since your trying to save something this will not help you other than allowing you to close the software and re-open it to begin again. So my question to you would be are there any open commands or commands you have not picked the Okay button to exit. Is the software prompting you to do something before you try to save it? If you draw a rectangle and then try to save it can you save your file? If you create a contour toolpath on that rectangle and try to save it does it work then? Try something very simple and basic and try to narrow things down.

Keep us up to date on this and let us know what the outcome of this is.

• Haha 1

I have ran into a couple circumstances of MC crashing and the only option is the Ctrl + Alt + Del, method to close MC.

Verify lock up - After ending the task it gives me the option to save(which I found odd, yet extremely convenient)

Since saving to your hard drive also is an issue,

Try to 'save as' to your desktop also.

Try turning off autosave if you are indeed using it.

I've run into with HHS surfacing toolpaths using solids as check surfaces.

I think it has something to do with the check surface pop up.

It happens less oftern if you don't check the "Don't ask me again" button but it still happens

I get this same issue from time to time. When I update a post and get an error it locks up on me which is between 5-25 times a week. If it doesn't give me an error while updating the post its good and I can continue to use it. I am guessing the reason why this happens for me is because when I update a post and get an error its continuing to check the post for more errors and doesn't know that the update utility has completed.

I know this is not a solution to the problem however to close to software what I do is Ctrl + Alt + Del, pick "Start task Manager", choose "Processes" and then pick Mastercam.exe from the list and choose "End Process" It should close within 3 seconds.

Now in your case since your trying to save something this will not help you other than allowing you to close the software and re-open it to begin again. So my question to you would be are there any open commands or commands you have not picked the Okay button to exit. Is the software prompting you to do something before you try to save it? If you draw a rectangle and then try to save it can you save your file? If you create a contour toolpath on that rectangle and try to save it does it work then? Try something very simple and basic and try to narrow things down.

Keep us up to date on this and let us know what the outcome of this is.

This program that this problem is happening with was written in X5. When I open it, I get the tool alarms because the tools were generated in X5. Could that be the problem? I try to go and change the tool files to X6, but when I am finished and try to save the program, it locks up.

• 3 months later...

scooh8292 have you tried saving the file to your local drive while you're working on it and attempting to generate those large toolpaths? If you are creating large toolpaths/files over a network things will typically be slower than doing things locally and then copying the file back to the network once you are finished with it. Seems like you have decent computer perhaps your network is a bit slow.

At one point our book department was having issues with large files so we installed a gigabite switch and it seemed to clear up most of the issues.