Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

custom tool file problem

Zoffen

I'm having some trouble getting a custom tool profile to work.

When i define the tool as undefined with an external file providing tool profiles, it looks fine.

When i define the tool as a drill with the same external file, its a no go.

i attached some screen caps to help explain.

any ideas?

post-38000-0-72414600-1342631814_thumb.jpg

post-38000-0-15927000-1342631822_thumb.jpg

post-38000-0-08346100-1342631828_thumb.jpg

post-38000-0-10880600-1342631840_thumb.jpg

I'm having some trouble getting a custom tool profile to work.

When i define the tool as undefined with an external file providing tool profiles, it looks fine.

When i define the tool as a drill with the same external file, its a no go.

i attached some screen caps to help explain.

any ideas?

If you use undefined standard profile works fine..

If you use tool "types" all tool drawings must be scaled so the radius of the tool is ALWAYS 1 inch.

That is the dumbest thing ever!

Why is it like this?!?!?....Enhancement request!

I've been banging my head against the wall for years with this issue... :wallbash:

(just like having toolholders in the operations instead of with the tool libraries..) :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

The reason for the scaling of custom tool profiles makes perfect sense. Think about a typical, standard endmill. When you make a new tool and set the type to endmill, Mastercam still is looking at a profile of an endmill from your "Tools" directory, and needs to scale it either up or down to so it will match the diameter setting in your tool definition. Even though the profile is set to "auto" Mastercam is still looking at a profile, just as if you had selected "custom profile"

If scaling a drawing is that complicated, I suggest just sticking with the "undefined" tool type.

• Like 1

The reason for the scaling of custom tool profiles makes perfect sense. Think about a typical, standard endmill. When you make a new tool and set the type to endmill, Mastercam still is looking at a profile of an endmill from your "Tools" directory, and needs to scale it either up or down to so it will match the diameter setting in your tool definition. Even though the profile is set to "auto" Mastercam is still looking at a profile, just as if you had selected "custom profile"

If scaling a drawing is that complicated, I suggest just sticking with the "undefined" tool type.

IMO, the software should be able to handle this for the user.

IMO, the software should be able to handle this for the user.

Yes i agree!!!

I would use undefined but i want the tool to say DRILL instead of undefined. So when i search for my Insert Drills, its under the DRILL tool Type.

Scaling isn't that big of an issue....untill you have lots of tools to draw/scale/enter.

thanks for the info!

Scaling isn't that big of an issue....untill you have lots of tools to draw/scale/enter.

that's the whole point.... if you have a family of insert drills you only draw it once , call up the file and enter the size ... done

just like any other regular mastercam tool

see all the mcx-6 files at

C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx6\mill\Tools