Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cutter comp in lathe canned cycle

odessa

I'd like to ask something. In all seriousness, why does anyone use comp on a lathe? I never use it and don't have a reason to. I just offset my geometry to suit. The only reason I see to use compensation, is so that when you put a new insert in, its at the same place and you have your offset already? Can someone explain what other benefits there are to comp on a lathe?

Let's say you program a finish contour for a 1/32" radius WITH comp and the operator can not get a good finish... he can simply put in a 1/64" radius insert, change his feedrate, and change the nose comp accordingly.

If there is no comp programmed, he would have to depend on you to re-write the whole program to use a different radius insert.

When I ran a CNC lathe (Fanuc 21i-T) all my finishing tool paths had cutter comp (G41/G42). Reason for this - most of my pieces I had to hold +/- .0005" on critical diameters. It was easier to use cutter comp to compensate for tool wear and machine growth. If I used computer for comp I would be constantly reprogramming and uploading new code (which would be a waste of time).

Just my $.02