Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis knife edge vise??

guitaraffa

My company just got a 5th axis trunion table/table style machine, and I'm trying to find vise and fixture options. I know a lot of people make their own fixtures, and I've seen a lot of people using the dovetail/Raptor style vises, but I'm wondering if their are small vises out their in which I could utilize a knife-edge style setup where I could just grab the blank straight off the saw. I machine plastic, and usually only grab .06" deep to avoid having to get thicker material. Are there vises out there that would make it easy to grab a blank without having to do an operation to prep the blank first?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Lange vises are not knife edge but they can be used without a prep op. The thing you'll be worrying about (especially with plastic) is the force you're going to need to embed the knife edge in will deform the material in some manner.

I've got a Kurt 5-Axis vise, this is in the "I do not recommend" category unfortunately. I've been a big Jurt fan for a lot of years but their MX vise is not a great offering. The CAD model from Kurt is lacking, the drawing for how you mount the thing is lacking, rigidity is lacking. It's just not a great vise.

JM2CFWIW

• Like 1

+1 on the Lang vise.

We have one here testing out it's pros and cons. Pros won.

It has a set of serrated jaws on it that come standard for there "Grip Fix" holding feature. But I believe you can get soft balnks to machine whatever you want on them (step, custom profile, etc.).

Probaly gioing to order 1 or 2 more of them in the near future.

I thought plastic shops liked double stick tape. :smoke:

Double sided tape is good for a lot of things plastic, especially when you have very thin stock that can't be held on a vise. But there are limitations.

Small peices are hard to hold on tape (I've seen them fly), can't use coolant, $$$ if you use it a lot, some plastic won't stick well to the tape, on some apps you can't take heavy cuts, etc, etc.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Has anyone tried the Jergens 5 axis fixturing? It looks nice and I've been thinking about buying it for our trunnion. I like their ball lock system and I bought a double lock vise column that even made the cover of their catalog. Pretty nice stuff for the price.

I've got one, but have not had a chance to use it yet. It is a clean vise though. Not on par with Lange, but probably in the Raptor and Technigrip class.

• 2 months later...