Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Exporting model from Verify to CMM

djstedman

The shop I work at work at uses CMM's for the majority of our close tolerance inspection, what we would like to do is export a model that is then able to be used by the CMM programmer to program intermediate operations prior to the parts coming off the CNC's

In verify the only format that can be saved is an STL file.. however the STL file isnt in any sort of format thats of any use to any other application.

For instance I cannot open that STL as anything but a graphics body in solidworks and therefore cannot convert it into any usable format.

I am just wondering if anyone has found any good workarounds for this.. as I would also like to use the output from verify rotated into different orientations for subsequent operations and for fixture design in outside applications..

FYI I have found a workaround using a program called Meshlab as well as Solidworks that will allow me to convert the STL into a 3D DXF file but that approach is unsavory at best given the large filesizes and ridiculous amounts of RAM required to deal with those files..

Any input is greatly appreciated..

Because of the nature of STL files (facets) to get the tolerance needed to do a high tolerance check from a CMM is going to be a big number of triangles and facets. You may be able to model up a solid in Solidworks for each operation faster than your computer can generate that big of STL files.

We actually use Zeiss CMM's and the native file format for them is ACIS (.sat) which is a format based on solids.. they will not read an STL file format..

Anyhow I realized the .stl format isnt a good option.. I guess I was kind of hoping maybe some third party verify or something might have had better options, our CMM programmer always complains that he cant program intermediate ops due to not knowing where his probes might collide with un cut material..

as for modelling new models to represent intermediate ops.. its possible but it is very hard to accurately represent uncut material and unfinished sections of the part left over from high speed roughing ops.. and as such they dont help much insofar as determining clearance for probe systems on the CMM or for engineers to determine clearances for fixturing for subsequent operations..

This just seemed like such a nescessary function I kind of figured someone might have come up with some solution ..

Verisurf has a variety of different surfacing techniques that work well with STL files. If the CMM programmer just needs to know where the uncut material is, this would be a great option.

With auto surface, its basically one button and you can surface your entire part from an STL right inside of mastercam and then export it how you would like....

Spaceclaim....... http://www.spaceclai...ufacturing.aspx

There is a Mastercam c-hook that lets you push and pull models to Spaceclaim on the fly..

You can also open your partially machined stl models in Spaceclaim and turn them into solids and then pull the solid model back into Mastercam.

You can get 15 day demo software, just contact your local reseller.... (I'm getting ready to load the demo right now..)

• Like 1

Well with Verisurf we can inspect to the STL right inside of Mastercam using different CMM devices. We routinaly work with STL file with no problem. I am taching a class today where a head is being reversed and the process is making points clouds that are then converted mes/stl that is then cehck right there for the quality of that. Then from there surface models are created. With Mastercam's stl from verify you need to be very careful. The are not what I call nice STL file they can be some what trciky to trun into models. Our stl tools for auto surface work best with free flowing free form shapes. We work will with prismatci shapes, but the process is more a manully process than what the autosurface process is. Hopefully that helps you out and Spaceclaim is a great software and for STL to solid from what I understand it does some amazing things.