Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surfacing hastelloy

somename75

So I have a job possibly that would require me to machine off around .08 in hastelloy, with a ball endmill. The surface that needs to be cut is about 8" x 20" or so. I was going to throw 1/2 ball endmills at this but was wondering if going around 160 sfm, and .002 per tooth would be a good place to start this quote from. I dont know how much benifit I will get from the chip thinning so I am scratching my head as to get a baseline on this. Also, from you guys that have worked with this stuff, what kind of tool life should i expect out of a varimill type tool?

Thanks much

Soooooooooooooo much of this depends on rigidity of your machine & workholding. <<< I can't say enough about that.

A literal night and day difference.

If you can surface for 20 mins with a ball end mill, you're doing REALLY good IMO.

Keep your expectations low.

• Like 1

If you try the ceramic route - try the Kennemetal ceramics. tried greenleaf, sandvik, keyocera & kennametal. The Kennametal worked best. I recorded a video where I had it cutting hardened Inco at 18k rpm & 200ipm feed. Also I pushed it to 30k rpm & 350ipm just to see what would happen. Tool was a 1.0 dia button style with 3 8mm dia ceramic inserts. Doc was .02 & radial width was .5 And a cold air gun.

Rigid setup!!

I dont have access to the FTP, is there another way to post a video for all to view?

I have cut a lot of Hast X and K2csq7 is giving pretty good advice. Your tooling, no matter what you use is going to take a beating. Maybe rough with a bullnose with a .050" stepover leaving .010" then finish with the ballnose? If you can get the surface on an angle, to cut with your ballnose at about a 30 degree angle to the material you will be better off. This will get you away from the center of the endmill and give you better tool life and less breakage. The biggest endmill you can get away with will of course allow the biggest stepover.

You could take most of the material with a high feed, then take the last few thou with a ball. I use Fraisa solid carbide 6mm, 4mm, and 3mm high feeds for roughing between closely spaced tapered ribs. I run the 3mm at 12000 RPM and 227 IPM, .0024 step down in hardened H13, leaving about .003" for finishing. They last several hours at that rate too.

If you try the ceramic route - try the Kennemetal ceramics. tried greenleaf, sandvik, keyocera & kennametal. The Kennametal worked best. I recorded a video where I had it cutting hardened Inco at 18k rpm & 200ipm feed. Also I pushed it to 30k rpm & 350ipm just to see what would happen. Tool was a 1.0 dia button style with 3 8mm dia ceramic inserts. Doc was .02 & radial width was .5 And a cold air gun.

Rigid setup!!

I dont have access to the FTP, is there another way to post a video for all to view?

youtube would be the easiest to share the video.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah that stuff beats the crap out of tools no matter what, so, go ceramic if you want to make some money on the job. Personally I like Kennametal stuff. I used the Kyon stuff for turning Stellite back in the day.

DO NOT shy away from it. If you guys can do this type of work, good things will come. You'll loose some hair along the way but it's so worth it. 99.99999999% of the shops out there will no bid it.

Yeah that stuff beats the crap out of tools no matter what, so, go ceramic if you want to make some money on the job. Personally I like Kennametal stuff. I used the Kyon stuff for turning Stellite back in the day.

DO NOT shy away from it. If you guys can do this type of work, good things will come. You'll loose some hair along the way but it's so worth it. 99.99999999% of the shops out there will no bid it.

Where is the Mother Ship located? Because here in Indiana I have seen more work with Hast X, Inconel, Rene, Waspalloy, etc than I have anything else. Five out of the seven shops I have worked at specialized in exotic materials. Just curious because around here getting that kind of work is very competitive.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The mother ship is residing in Southern California at the moment. 'Round these parts seems like if it's not Aluminum, most people no-bid it. Even Ti, a lot of shops shy away from which is ludicrous. Ti is like butter.