Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Correct origin placement on Okuma 800VH 5 axis machine

?Mark

This machine is a little different and we're trying to figure out the best programming approach.

Where would you place your origin?

I'm thinking the center of C axis for sure, but Z is a little more flexible. I'm suggesting top of the pallet.

What are your thoughts on this?

TIA!

post-3926-0-48842300-1352827578_thumb.png

Hi Mark

Same layout as our head/table machines in here.

Since the machines that we have also have turning ability I usualy always set the XY origin at the center of the C-axis (there are exceptions though).

Z origin is dictated by the blueprint datums of the part I am programming. It may be locating surface of the part or any other datum on the part that other dimensions must be good to. I never program to the pallet. BTW, I also use TCP as well as G68 to make the programs.

I recommend installing an adapter plate with ball locks for quick fixture changes (not sure how that would work with tombstones though).

The 1st shot is assembly from a couple of years ago.

The 2nd shot is from Vericut (using right angle head) which I suggest you seriously consider if you do not have it yet.

05_23_2009_009.jpg

e-1850_view_capture.jpg

M, Greg and Rob, Thanks for your input. Looks like we're all on the same page (center of C with Z at table or datum). I wanted to make sure we didn't miss anything here and started down the "dark path"... ;)

Rob, we're going with an adapter plate and a Hilma quick change grid system with vises and the Vericut is coming soon after.

Looks like the housing around your spindle is similar to ours. Does it cause you trouble when it comes to reach? Do you use extended toolholders? Big plus?

TIA

Rob, we're going with an adapter plate and a Hilma quick change grid system with vises and the Vericut is coming soon after.

Looks like the housing around your spindle is similar to ours. Does it cause you trouble when it comes to reach? Do you use extended toolholders? Big plus?

We do use extended holders as well as risers to be able to reach certain features. In the image below overall tool assembly is 25"+ long. We are using Big Plus and Capto in the image below.

ISO_GRID077-2.jpg

• Like 1

That's quite an assembly ! lol

One more question...do you mix and mach big plus with non big plus holders?

I've used it in my old place and I tend to lean toward "trying hard" not to mix them on the same cycle.

What's your opinion?

Unfortunately we do mix and match big plus with non big plus. I would prefer not to mix them but sometimes when you have to order 100+ tools for a single project you try to keep costs down wherever you could.