Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 Tool Parameters Bug on a Tap?

Rotary Ninja

I saved a list of tools to a tool library and am using the same M3 x .5 tap that I've used on 3 part programs. In the tool library this tool is set to G84. On all three parts this tool has changed to a G81 in the tool parameters when I import it into my program, and in turn, the toolpaths I've used it in. I come in to work this morning and create a second op in a program I have already fixed this issue in and it again reverts back to a G81 in the tool parameters and in the toolpath I created, But this time there were also a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the peck 2 (%dia) text field for some reason. My co-worker said since X6 he has been experiencing the same thing with the G84 switching to a G81 and has actually scrapped a part because he didn't catch it. I have MU2, he is running X6 with no maintenance updates installed yet.

Well, I was able to reproduce the problem, but I am not at work now to try your suggestion. Here is what I did to reproduce the problem...

I created a temp library and saved the tap into that library. Here the tool shows in the Temp library it is set to a G84:

1.png

It also shows after importing it it is still set to G84:

2.png

I use it in a toolpath and it is still G84:

3.png

Save the file and re-open it and it has switched to a G81:

4.png

Will locking the feedrates solve this? I will try it tomorrow and get back with you.

Thanks.

I created a new M3 tap and saved back into my tool library and I am still able to generate this problem. I never once saw this in X5. I contacted Mitch at Cad-Cam tech and he said he can't seem to regenerate the problem. I can go to another workstation with a completely different tool library and recreate this.

I created a brand new tap and saved it to my library. Then I created a tapped hole toolpath and imported this tap, saved it. Re-opened it and it was still set to a G84. Delete the toolpath, delete the tool from the program, and re-import the same tool again and re-create the tapped hole toolpath again. Save the file. Re-open, and get a G81 setting on the tool again. This seems to be somewhat random with the new tool where before it was every time I saved the file.

Anybody else able to re-create this problem besides me and Cannon?

This is funny... I just went to create a new tap AGAIN... I set the tool number and diameter. Went to the parameters page and set the feed, coolant, and offsets. I set it to G84. I went back to the first tab to check to make sure my diameter was set right, then back to the parameters tab and the G84 changed back to a G81. Set it back to a G84 and switch tabs again and it switches back to a G81. I thought maybe this was happening when creating a tool so I made absolutely sure the tool saved as a G84 before closing and restarting Mastercam and voila... G81 again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...