Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Entering off of the part

SpecialtyTool

I am having trouble with cutters plunging into material when trying to surface. My issues are only at the beginning when starting the surface. Is there a way to control the cutter so that it starts off of the part and works its way in? The only solution I find is to extend my surfaces but then I end up cutting air. Any suggestion? I can usually get my toolpaths to cut right except for the entrances and exits. I have attached something I am working on.

Thanks

50-0136_REV-0.MCX-5

For the older surfacing toolpaths, there is a button labeled "Direction" that allows you some limited control over lead in/out moves. It is basically a "vector based" approach and retract move. Very rarely do I get the settings right on the first try. I usually plug in some numbers for XY angle, and plunge angle, then generate the path, and adjust those numbers as needed...

• Like 1

"The only solution I find is to extend my surfaces but then I end up cutting air. Any suggestion?"

Don't extend them that far....... ??? or trim them back to a distance that suits your needs.

Directional controls will work and are often my first choice but can crude up an otherwise pristine tool path. The options found in the advanced/gap settings, Tangential Line length extension, work as well but with even less satisfactory results. Both methods can gouge a part so be careful and study the back plot / verify.

How far I go with surface extensions really depends on the type of work I'm doing, or if I even fell like messing with the surfaces.

I often extend surfaces to get a smoother tool path. Not all parts, just the trouble makers. It's the nature of the beast. Untrim the surfaces, extend them, then trim back to one another if possible. If I even have the slightest hint that this kind of monkey business is going to take too much time to get the results I'm looking for, I'll go to SolidWorks and extend the surfaces there with greater control over what I want, then import them back into MC. Some parts are ba$tard$ to work with no matter what you do.

One other note. If it's a one off part, or an expensive tool, sacrificing a few seconds of air cuts here and there VS smooth entries and a good finish, I'll take the air cuts. At full throttle they don't take up that much time and it will out perform the sharp moves, beating the tool, part and machine up.

IN Sf Blend, 2D instead of 3d, will stop the hop.