Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

importing a bitmap picture

david

Just get your self one of those cheap CAD programs that come with rester to vector. I use TurboCad v5 and works great on BMP images. It takes five clicks to convert BMP file to DRW file which you can open in MasterCam. You can get it for under $30 on ebay.Beats spending $275 for plug in. Don't get me wrong, Turbocad 5/6 is powerfull cad program and blows AutoCad 2000 any day. It just costs alot less. I use it all the time to do all the 2D profiles and import them to MasterCam.

For more artistic work, I've done the following:

1. Create a large surface (100 x 100)

2. Go to screen, surface display, studio

3. Under Settings, special effects, textures, load your .bmp file as a texture, and select your 100 x 100 surface

4. your bmp will be displayed on the screen.

5. Here's the tricky part, you have to access drawing tools without exiting the Studio shading. Do that by clicking on the Spline icon (usually) and just trace over your bitmap! Remember when you used tracing paper as a kid? Same concept.

It sounds kludgy, but this is very efficient for artistic work (in fact, it yields better results for this type of work than any other thing I've tried).

It requires no cleanup (which you'll have to do if you import at .bmp file), and it's free!

[This message has been edited by Charles Davis (edited 03-09-2001).]

There are a lot of good programs that will convert raster images to vector images.

Adobe Streamliner

Trac Tric 2000

R2V

Corel Draw

Scan 2 Cad

Wintopo Pro

Just to name a few. All of these programs can import the vector image to Mastercam.As to what is the best it depends on what you want. If you want really good detail you will have to clean up the final results no mater which program you use. In my opinion the Raster to vector c-hook is the best. I think all of these programs have a demo version. Try them all and see what you like the best. Good Luck!

------------------

Val

Try out Mastercams bolt on Chook first. Its Free to use for 30 days.IMHO dont let the 275.00 scare you.Theres are a lot of raster conversion issues that you may not be aware of when it come to performance & quality. Some programs are real Junk "IMHO" when it comes to getting clean smooth flowing geometry & detailing.

Kenneth Potter

Thank you, everbody, for your responses. I used Charles method to get the job done. Very tricky, but effective, Charles. How in the world did you come upon that one? Now I have a version of Corel Draw and I am getting ready to try to figure out how to use it.

Best regards,

David