Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you see anything wrong?

Thoob

Ok. Lets try this another way to test some things out.

I will create three different 3/4" threadmills. The first will be drawn on-size as MCM does.

01UNSCALEDTHREADMILL_zps7035b775.png

The second one I will draw on-size as well, but lets assume it has a 1" shank for some odd reason. This tool is just a test because I want to try and figure out how Mastercam pics up it's compensation.

02LARGERSHANKTHREADMILL_zps954feeae.png

And this last tool was drawn on-size then scaled to 1" at the point I will be using in the tool's parameters to define it's diameter.

03SCALEDTHREADMILL_zps3c083218.png

All three of these will work depending on how you define them in the tool's parameters.

Here is MCM's undefined tool drawn to size. It works just fine.

04UNSCALED-UNDEFINEDYES_zps648fb20f.png

Here it is using a Slot mill instead of an undefined tool. This does not work.

05UNSCALED-SLOTMILLNO_zpsf0f680e6.png

Here is the large shank tool using an undefined tool. The shank is drawn at a 1/2" radius. This for some reason does not work. The tool's tip radius as you saw is drawn at .375", just like the first tool. The tool is setup to be .750" diameter at this same point. But I guess since the shank is the larger point Mastercam tries to use that to display the tool (just guessing here).

06UNSCALEDLGSHANKUNDEFINEDNO_zps1fdf771c.png

And here is the large shank tool using a Slot mill. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

07UNSCALEDLGSHANKSLOTYES_zps297e7550.png

Here is a tool drawn at 1" scale using an undefined tool This does not work.

08SCALEDUNDEFINEDNO_zpscfbe481a.png

And here is the way I draw all of my tools. This is a tool drawn so the radius is at 1" and using a Slot mill instead of an undefined tool.

09SCALEDDEFINEDYES_zps059b9015.png

This not only works in this case, but it also works if I want to use this same custom tool profile but set it up as a 1/4" threadmill in the tool's parameters.

scaled250_zpsbda369a7.png

This does not work for the unscaled tool.

unscaled250_zps43554a27.png

It also does not work for any of the other tools in any other configuration. Only the tool scaled to 1" can be used for multiple tool diameters. All you have to do is change the diameter to the appropriate size in the tool's parameters. This is the reason I do this. I don't have to draw 25 different port tools.

I agree, I have never had to scale the tool either, just draw the tool to its radial dimension and it should output an exact cutter.

Maybe the scaling affects sizing the tool within the tool params page for different size cutters.

Great job on the pics Rotary Ninja HHHoooooooooooooooooooowwwaaaaaaaaa

I draw tool exactly as it sits on my desk(radius), use a dashed red center line. Save to custom tools folder. Create new tool>undefined>custom file>cutter diameter is the actual cutting diameter. Back plots/verifies perfectly. Pretty cool how there are so many different ways though.

I don't know if it helps anyone but if anyone wondered and is interested..

The reason to scale it to a 1 inch diameter is simply based on math..

Anything drawn with a 1 inch diameter can be easily scaled by multiplying any size given as 'diameter' on the tool info page..

For example,

If you specify its .25 diameter .25 x 1 = .25

If you specify its 5 inch diameter 5 x 1 = 5

This allows you to draw one single point threadmill tool as shown above.. and scale it for use over and over again any time you need to use that type of tool..

If you draw it to scale it will only work at the one and only size you drew it at.. scaling will not work and will be totally messed up.. because..

If you drew it .5 diameter and you specify its .25 you would have mastercam internally do the math as .5 x .25 = .125 which isn't correct..

I haven't done extensive testing of this to prove it out.. but as someone that used to do a lot of computer programming in the past it seems logical that this is the reasoning..

All that being said.. as with a lot of things in Mastercam the ability to draw scalable tool is really cool.. and in a lot of places very useful, on the other hand most likely a complex one off port tool would have absolutely no reason to be scaled.. so IMO its a matter of knowing whats available and using the best option for your given situation

I've got a comment regarding the 1" scaling issue.

If you use a normal tool type like flat, ball, bull, slot, ect., you can draw a custom profile shape, and Mastercam will automatically scale the tool when you enter a different diameter in the define tool dialog.

Using an "undefined" tool (which really should just say "custom" in my opinion), Mastercam will not scale the profile for you. You need to draw the tool profile to size (still only draw half the tool from centerline), and the diameter you enter in the diameter field is what Mastercam will use as the defined diameter for offsetting from the geometry. Think about a contour toolpath, set to 'computer' compensation. This radial offset will be calculated from the diameter you enter when you define the tool.

I've got a comment regarding the 1" scaling issue.

If you use a normal tool type like flat, ball, bull, slot, etc., you can draw a custom profile shape, and Mastercam will automatically scale the tool when you enter a different diameter in the define tool dialog.

Using an "undefined" tool (which really should just say "custom" in my opinion), Mastercam will not scale the profile for you. You need to draw the tool profile to size (still only draw half the tool from centerline), and the diameter you enter in the diameter field is what Mastercam will use as the defined diameter for offsetting from the geometry. Think about a contour toolpath, set to 'computer' compensation. This radial offset will be calculated from the diameter you enter when you define the tool.

Ahh. That makes sense now.

Also, delete the dimension if it is on the same level as the custom profile. You should only have the outside profile of half the tool, with no centerline. (Mastercam assumes the Y axis is the centerline)

If these are not supposed to be there why are they on the tools that come with Mastercam?

I was able to get McamX5 to load and comp the tool correctly defined as a slotmill, using the dia and flute height as drawn. The tool geom would not draw correctly in the lower right of the tool definition utility. If you try to adjust the size of the tool in the tool definition the dia will comp but remember the flute height is being scaled accordingly. The custom tool geom is on level 100 of the part file.

Yes, bottom center of the tool profile.

If you are going to use the geom as defined you could bring it in as a lolipop tool. If you are wanting to bring it in as a slotting type tool then the geom needs to change. If you are wanting to able to adjust the size of the tool as needed then you will need to define the tool the same as Kevin "the Rotary Ninja" described for you.

This is the first time ive noticed Origin mentioned. is it supposed to be center bottom of tool? or where

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that. I always start by drawing a center line to represent the center of the tool from the origin straight up in Y. Then I draw a line from the origin across in X to represent the bottom of the tool. I offset these lines to draw my tool. Then I trim everything up and connect the dots to create the angles and such. Then I scale the drawing so the cutting edge is 1" as shown. I have never tried, but I assume if you were drawing a port tool for instance, and you wanted to touch off the spot face portion of the tool to set your Z you could draw the tool with the port section below the centerline. Brb ;)