Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

upgrade video card

Thoob

i went with the 2000 because the 4000 was double the cost.

my theory was if i found myself needing the 4000, i would just get a second 2000, which would actually give me higher performance than a single 4000.

i had a budget of $2,000, and i ended up spending $2,500. i doubt the owner would have been so forgiving if the price was $3,000.

Most professional software's do not support SLI/Crossfire, for the most part these are for gaming... of the top of my head 3ds max does but only during playback

I've been down this road.

I would not do it.

I mean really, a company can't afford the hardware to make money with?

If it's a home system and you want to mess with, hey, go for it but a company, doesn't need to mess with that, they want systems that run, period, The warranty will handle the rest.

My 2 cents is free ;)

• Like 1

I've been down this road.

I would not do it.

I mean really, a company can't afford the hardware to make money with?

If it's a home system and you want to mess with, hey, go for it but a company, doesn't need to mess with that, they want systems that run, period, The warranty will handle the rest.

My 2 cents is free ;)

I agree 100%

You pay xx Thousand for a cad/cam software and you would skimp out on a 400 dollar video card? lol.

http://www.dvinfo.ne...dro-4000-a.html

buy a 480 and hack it to accept quadro4000 drivers....

edit: i know: hobby talk, not business talk :D

I did this some years ago.. a bios hack to turn a GeForce card into a Quadro

My system reported it as a Quadro card... but benchmark test were not even close to Quadro specs

long story short.. all the hack did was slap a Corvette badge on a Vega.. :laughing:

It was good enough however to trick SolidWorks into running RealView graphics.. but the perfornace was awful

So is the Quadro 4000 the best card these days? I remember some of those FX nn00 cards costing more than the rest of the computer. The 4000 is only $750 bucks. If that's the new hotness, I might have to pick one up to upgrade my FX580.(LOL)

The Quadro 4000 is not "the best" by any means

This one

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadroplex-7000-us.html

isn't even a card, it's in a stand alone case. :laughing:

For our purposes the Quadro 4000 is a very good card and well worth $713 (Amazon.com)

My video card at home is a GTX670 and it has 1344 cuda cores. Surely that is not a representation of that price tag. You can get 3072 Cuda Cores on a 690 for 1/4 of the price of the Quadro 6000. lol.

I think the 6GB of video ram adds to that price tag. :)

Memory isn't that expensive nowadays. So an extra 5 gig costing $3400 more than the 2000D doesn't seem realistic. I assume the cuda cores on the professional cards are different than they are on the gaming cards. I think you are comparing high quality apples to oranges that are sitting on the ground under the tree. But don't quote me on that.

I am sure someone here can chime in. All I know is our Quadro 2000 only has 192 cuda cores. There are other specs on the 6000 that help out as well. The memory runs at 384 bit vs 128 bit of the 2000D. So the card has more than double the processing power, 6 times the memory, and a memory interface that is 3 times faster. I think I could be happy with that :smoke:

Memory isn't that expensive nowadays. So an extra 5 gig costing $3400 more than the 2000D doesn't seem realistic. I assume the cuda cores on the professional cards are different than they are on the gaming cards. But don't quote me on that. I am sure someone here can chime in. All I know is our Quadro 2000 only has 192 cuda cores. There are other specs on the 6000 that help out as well. The memory runs at 384 bit vs 128 bit of the 2000D. So the card has more than double the processing power, 6 times the memory, and a memory interface that is 3 times faster. I think I could be happy with that :smoke:

and this is the same guy who was laughing at my 92" TV :laughing: