Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Merge file. How to change attributes???

Pilot Plant Supervisor

There has to be a way to change attributes when merging files but I just can't figure it out. Sometimes I need to bring a second model into my file but it always puts whatever is on a given level on the same number level in the file I am working with, and I have to spend time seperating it out. What am I missing?

i think you may have found a bug of sorts, i just tried it on a few files of my own with some mixed results,

1st i tried to do it on a new file, i merged another into it and after i selected the file to merge i clicked that icon and it put everything on my active level along with my current color, line width, and type , basically worked as it should

2nd i tried on an existing file, that also worked kind of, it put everything on the active level along with all the other attributes, but since the imported file had some stuff on the same level numbers as the existing file it renamed them to what the imported file said, and it also created named levels from the imported file with zero geometry, so it created a mess with the level names on that one

3rd i tried to import on an existing file twice, then i got the same result you are having on the 2nd import, i clicked the current attributes icon a couple times and it would not do anything just as you stated, but if you click the current attributes icon and then click on the "select" icon (its all the way to the left of the ribbon bar looks like a mouse pointer) then pick a new geo location origin it will work, but it still renames any levels in your current file that are in the imported file

im gonna call my reseller monday and see if were doing something wrong here or if its a bug

Actually, I want to be able to put imported stuff on different levels. I tried creating a new level and making it active before importing, but it still puts everything on whatever level it is on in the original file.

The best way to merge information into an existing file is make certain the the geom you are planing to merge is stored on an unused level relative to file you are merging it into. So if I were setting up some kind of template file I would keep that geom on a level that I wouldn't typically use in a part file,... say level 1000. Then when I merge the template file into my existing part file it will come in on that level.

If I'm going to merge geom from an existing part file I will open that file, do a file save some, select only the geom I want to merge, rename it, open the file, change the level number using the renumber utility in the levels manager, save it then run the file merge process.

If you are merging solid parts into a Mcam part file they will typically come in on level 1, I don't use level 1 in my Mcam part files (it's an Mcam ocd)

If you are merging solid parts into a Mcam part file they will typically come in on level 1, I don't use level 1 in my Mcam part files (it's an Mcam ocd)

[/Quote]

If I'm bringing in models (as model files) they always go to the chosen level. If I bring in models from a .MC* file they always go to the level that they came from. Because of that I have all of my fixture/components stored as parasolids and my tooling stored as .mc* with unique levels for each tool.

"...Being able to send the merge to a different level during the merge utility would be cool though...."

Just before you merge in the file, set your Construction Level to the level that you want all the geometry to go to.

Then while doing the merge, after selecting the file click on the button that Brandon is referring to.

That will put all the incoming geometry on to current Construction Level.

Or...

After merging, right click on the Level button (to begin the ChangeLevels functionality).

When prompted for the entities to change, go to All and select Group Manager...when it appears select the Group that was just created by the Merge.

Green check out ... choose a level in the ChangeLevel dialog ...and everything you merged will be on the desired level

Hope this helps.

I can't reproduce that in X6 Mu3

To test, I did the following:

• made a part using only level 1
  • saved it.
  • opened a new part and made different geometry on level 1
  • set my construction level to 2
  • made some more geometry.
  • set my construction level to 3
  • used File/Merge-Pattern, selected the file I had just saved, and saw the saved geometry show up again.
  • while still in the Merge function, I clicked on the "Current Attributes" button and then green checked to exit the Merge.

I now have the merged geometry on level 3, and the geometry I had created on 1 and 2 stayed where it was.

• 1 year later...

On the Merge/Pattern ribbon bar look at the " current Attributes" icon. If you click it. it applies the current level and color. if you leave it off which is the default setting it maintains the original color and level.

I did that. I should specify that I am trying to import solids from another mastercam file. Is there a difference there?

I've never done it but it says you can. I believe you have to have solids though or you have to bring it in as surfaces or curves.