Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Arc Filtering for all Surface Operations.

crazy^millman

One thing I am sure most of you know where this is but I just came across it been looking for it for 6 months finnaly found it.

All sufrace toolpaths do not have the filter selection on the parameter page like 8.1.1 so I have looked high and low for it. Just becuase you have the values set in the Congfig does not defalut them to work unless you have changed every operation to do so in the Config set-up. It is the total tolerance selection in each one of the parameter pages. I also think this might explain why some of you get the flats you see on your parts from time to time across curved surfaces when doing finishing operations.

Wow and I was wondering why them Scallop toolpaths were 30 to 50 mb. Imagine it only being 1 mb how much my machine will quit taking a dump on me. At the expense of looking stupid more than gald to share this for all the other people who may not know where it went to.

Crazy Millman

[ 09-04-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]

There exists two sorts of filtering one through toolpath parameter filtering and non -associative filtering of NC utils-> filter .

The first uses your toolpath filter parameters settings , which are in ver 9.1 on the third page in total tolerance section,the second one use settings of screen->configure->Nc settings->filter settings !

Well that page is set to .0005 total tolerance and minunium arc radius .001 with max 100.

When I it went to each one of the surface operation in the config it say no filtering. Seem weird that upon the default setting from Mastercam filtering is turned off in each of them. So when I activated it it was a different value than on the screen->configure->Nc settings->filter settings. With 8.1.1 they were the same.

Mill you will love VER 9. You can right click on ops and turn on all the arc filters on all your NCI files without regen.

You have stumbled onto the very reason that I came to the boards.

When using the arc filter in the G18 & G19 planes, use caution......G-code verify is good to have.(I wish I had it)All the other verifys that come with Mastercam will not show the errors.

Hopefully your control will fault on an error and not crash like mine does.

But you can make your slide driver boards last alot longer when you push less code through your control. Not to mention when running 3-axis circular interpolation on scallop will cause your control to lag less.

Murlin

Murlin!

you said :

quote:

Mill you will love VER 9. You can right click on ops and turn on all the arc filters on all your NCI files without regen.

Beware of this :

quote:

Mastercam also provides two additional methods of filtering toolpaths:

¨ Right-click in Operations Manager and choose Options, Filter to filter only selected operations in the current MC9 file.

¨ Choose NC utils, Filter to filter any existing NCI file.

In this method, filtering is performed on the ASCII NCI file, which is created when the operation is post processed. Once posted, the operation is no longer associated to the geometry so the filtering has no effect on either operations listed in Operations Manager or on the toolpath operation itself.

It means that you are LOOSING ASSOCIATIVITY !

Any changes in geometry for example will be not relevant !

/edit start - And you see the icon of your nci file in operation manager in the locked state.

It means that toolpath is locked and can not be regenerated in this state .

-/edit end

I prefere the first ,convenient way :

quote:

The recommended way to filter toolpaths is to check the Filter check box on the Toolpath Parameters dialog box tab so that the toolpath is filtered as part of its operation. In the Mill illustration below, note the circled Filter check box. This same check box is also located in Lathe Toolpath Parameter dialog boxes.

When you filter toolpaths this way within the toolpath definition, the filtering is done automatically and the toolpath maintains associativity. When changes are made to the geometry, the toolpath can be easily regenerated

Iskander teh simpleton

[ 09-05-2003, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

Iskander I have found that if I first crunch the toolpath without any arc filters, and then turn on the arcs using the ops, it works better for me.

Loosing associativity doesnt really concern me after I get a good NCI.

Thats why I always lock all my NCI files down after they verify good.

Then, all the little glitches that dirty up an ops, wont have any affect on my NCI.

If I need to revise the Geometry, I just turn off the locks and regen. After they get regen, lock em all down again.

Murlin

• 7 months later...

Huh Jay we have 9.1 sp2 level 3 on both seats here. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif We do not however have Maintence. I was talking about when I was using 8.1.1 how the filter settign were in a different place than in version 9 and it took me that long to find them was all and trying to help others at the risk of sounding stupid put up what I had found. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

What kind of problems are you having with the Arc moves. Do you get over travels, do you get things unexplianed on the machine. I would ask what version are you using and what post are you using and if you are usign 9 do you have all the latest and greatest patchs and updates.