Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal Machining Centers

What we've done in our tool change cycles is if there is a 0 or a 99. in the offset, it automatically runs the tool length measurement cycle. Easy peazy no crashie. Negative offsets are just a ridiculous way to address tool lengths and I've never understood the allure. I mean I guess it's easy but the problem is the numbers don't mean $#!+. You look at the number and it's like "... ok, how is that relative to the part?". I don't know, all of our machines are multi-pallet so I have one tool intgeracting with a minimum of 2 operations on at least 2 differnt part numbers at any given time, so that negative offset bull$#!+ just doesn't cut it in that environment.

horse###! :lol:

i've run mori pallet pool with 3 machining centers each having 250 tools with over 30 pallets, tool wear monitoring and hundreds of part numbers.

all run flawlessly on negative TLO's.

negative TLO's:

1. easy

2. primary fault of zero offset in control takes care of it's self.

3. unquestionably safer setup for average talent. (i really like that macro idea for checking lengths).

4. neg offsets run in parallel to Cartesian coordinate system, not backwards. the negative number represents the negative distance from home to tool setter. negative distance from setter to part is put into work offset. it doesn't get any simpler or safer than that.

5. you got a -10 inch offset but want to go .001 deeper (which is in the negative direction)? easy change the offset to -10.001. perfectly aligns with the Cartesian system!

6. same problem with positive 10. inch offset. gotta change it to 9.999%*! that's backwards buddy. :lol: gotta make the number smaller to go further. ya that's not confusing. :welcome:

• Like 1

Double horse$#!+!!!!

It's not confusing if you have a brain and don't have dumb$#!+$ in the shop. just because you get away with that horse$#!+ doesn't mean it's right. :rofl:

took the words right outta me mouth. LoL :harhar: .

butt seriously, 6 of one half dozen of the other..

hey check out this crazy machine. what would be the point of having the trunnion AND the spindle rotating on the same axis???????

so if you wanted to swarf an impeller blade 90°, you would need to synchronize the trunnion at 45 and the spindle to 45?? sound like a recipe for double the chatter and backlash.

"synchronization"??? "swarfing impeller blades"???

Oy vay!!!!

Get Karlo's 5-Axis book. Read it, then come back and talk intelligently.

Okuma's here. They are built very good/reliable. We abused our's for three years & it still held tight tolerances. Abused as in over worked not smashed. I had 6 tool changes per part and 4 of them were 50# cutters. The SLOWEST rpm was 6000. Cycle time was under 3min per part. The machine performed excellent & was pushed 24hrs 6-7 days a week.

Also service support plays a MAJOR role in what machine tool company to drop 400,000+ per machine!

We have five 630 Mazak Horiz running in our other facility & they rave about Mazak over others. Personally I rave Okuma. We have Gosiger support here & they have Shelton there. Both Okuma & Mazak get paid out of the same office.