Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

trunnion position for 5ax drilling

Kendo

I'm experimenting with 5ax radial hole drilling for the first time and i'd like to know how to force the machining to be done with the trunnion in a certain position.

Currently, the code is output with B-90. which rotates the trunnion towards the door with the part facing away from me on the backside. The opposite is what I want to accomplish, so that as I prove out the program, the workpiece is facing me.

This could be forced in the post. That could be changed a couple ways. Biggest thing is do you want a forced method or a flexable method to control this process? I have in the past used a extended offset and then set it up how I want things to be. It could be just a change in the post, but would have to see a lot more before I could make that determation. Have you contacted your dealer and see what they say about your problem?

I'd like to know as much as possible about the options. This isn't much of a problem, but more of a preference. For simply drilling radial holes in a round a part, I can't think of why I would ever want the trunnion at B-90. with the workpiece facing away from me. So a forced method will work, but I'd still like to know what you call the flexible method for when I move on to something that requires it. This is the first place I always look for answers, after the help file, that is.

Well the flexable method is where you set a Workoffset to only be used for this purpose and end the code always calling that fixture offset. Then one the machine you can set it up anyway you like to edns for the stop position. For the method you have now I would almost suspect it is hard coded in the post the way you decrbie it now. To me makes the hard way not controlable. Dig in the post and see what is controlable and notcontrolable. You might even have mi or mr controls in the post that allow you flexability.

HTH

I also found out how to get into the post and limit the B axis fro 0 to 90 degrees. Now my code outputs perfectly, the trunnion swings away from the door with the part facing me, and the C axis indexes the part from one hole to the next.

The machine simulation however, is still doing some weird things. I've got two holes on oppopsite sides of a round part. If I create two separate multiax drilling ops, the machine simulation shows the B axis swinging from -90 to 90, even though the Gcode output stays at 90. It gets even stranger when I select the two holes in the same drilling op. The Gcode still outputs perfectly but the simulation shows a collision between the spindle and trunnion while the C axis indexes to the second hole. The toolpath also shows a rapid positioning move sttraight through the part to the approach height on the other side.

Kendo,

I am currently working on a hydraulic valve housing, using a rotary table mounted on a horizontal machine.

I was getting same problem such as you describe, would position to B90. C$$$.00 to drill 1st hole then tombstone would rotate all the way around to B-90. C$$$.00 to drill adjacent hole. Just tinkering around with misc integers, I discovered that by adding a value of 999 to Initial primary and or initial secondary this forced tombstone to stay at B90. I dont quite understand how or why his worked for me, but why not play with those settings see if you get good results. Perhaps someone else could further explain the exact function of these misc integers.

Well it comes from the settings of what you want to control starting on the index. They are set from these vaules, but make sure the post is set-up to support it. The post for the Mazak was made from the In-House post so it should be pretty standard. Review the math and should find it works straight forward.