Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need Some Help

MachineSMMC

I need to engrave some cavity numbers, 1-8, on a slanted surface. I have uploaded the file to the ftp and would like somebody to tell me how to do this.

The file is called CORE 1-Engraving.zip under the MC9_files folder.

The surface I need to engrave is the red surface of the part. Keep in mind that the numbers need to be reversed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ 09-10-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: MachineSMMC ]

Ok this is easy. Go to the parts and create a line across that plane of the face on every part. Then go c-plane grap that line and make it normal. You may have to play with the z direction in the WCS but no problem. Yuo will also want to make sure your z point is on this line also or it will creat this letter in space somewhere.

If you have solids this is easy if not then it becomes more work but still not hard. Go to letter and pick true type fonts arial bold should work. On each of the 4 locations one side you can create the letter just picking the mid point as yout place you cnplay with center left right and all of that on your own. Type in the letter 1 in the doalog box and then it will appear in the same plane as the surface. You then in soild extrude this chain and they you go. If using surfaces then go create/sufrace/draft pick chain then go draft the height you want will be the length. Then g oto creat curve alone the new edge you created. you will then use the fill body in surfaces and that will clsoe the created letter surface from there.

I have explained all for you to try. If you would like for me to do it I will but it will have to be this envening.

Good luck and give it a try but do it in a another copy of the part.

Crazy Millman

MachineSMMC,

I would not recommend using the surface / finish / project on this example. I agree that it works, but it's my understanding that you want to maintain the height to width ratio of your letters. If you project onto that steep surface, you will end up with tall narrow letters.

In any case, for accurate letters, you will need to switch to the construction plane that the engraving surface is on, and create the letters there.

Is it safe to assume that you are using a 3 axis mill for this job? If so, and you plan on engraving this from the top plane, you will need to select a tool with a very small end or point so you dont have trouble with the tangent edge of the tool doing all the cutting. You will likely have to tweak in your "Z" depth to get the desired result.

Bottom line, if you can tip this up in the machine, you will have much better results.

Good luck,

Paul McGarr

I do alot of engraving on my forging dies.

I grind up some strait, 4-sided, single point stickles, about .03 square.

I engrave on geometry that goes way up the wall, sometimes at a 45 degree angle. There comes a point when the angle is too much and your part will have to be tilted.

I will make letters and flip them over so they will be reversed.

Then I will project them down on the surfaces.

I will backplot the projected path and save as geometry.

Depending on what angle the surfaces are, the letters will have to be modified in some way.

So I will scaleXYZ the origonal letters in the flat plane that I started with until I get satisfactory results when I project them down on my surfaces.

Then I will turn the projected geometry into a solid spline.

Then do a 3-d contour on them with no CC.

I set my tool down a little at a time until the letters are to depth.

Simple biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Murlin

Well Machine I did it in both solids and surfaces to give you an idea it took about 3 0sec a letter with solids and about 4 mintues each doing it with surfaces. 1 and 2 are solids and 3 and 4 are surfaces. I think you figured it our but just maybe antother way to look at it.

Hope that helps. It is called Core 1-Crazy

Crazy Millman

[ 09-10-2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Millman^crazy ]

I havn't grabbed the file yet, but I've had good luck projecting letters doing this:

Make your letters flat hovering in space above your curve or solid. (e.g. "A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away") biggrin.gif

Create>Curve>Project >follow prompts

You can then select whether or not your geometry is projected as View/Normal, meaning just dropped on your part like a projected toolpath, or actually wrapped around the curve to look proper at a perpendicular plane. It will lay letters down on some pretty steep edges. I then just do a 3-d contour (comp off). A lolipop mill might be a neat way to go on a real steep side?

Disclaimer: I hav'nt done much surface work (solids though), but this exact procedure has worked for me.

smile.gif