Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix on Haas VF-2

Thad

I've got a brand new Haas VF-2 YT and I've got to helix some counterbored holes. I have helix enabled in XY plane in the control def. Do I need to break the arcs (at quadrant or 180)? I haven't run any programs yet, but I seem to recall an issue on a Haas mini mill from quite a few years back. Just wanted to stop a problem before it happens.

Thanks.

Thad

I typically don't break the arcs with a Haas.

I set it the drop down to

"Don't Break Arcs"

and check

"Allow 360 degree arcs"

It may depend on the age of the control, but I us these setting on a couple of Haas VMC's that were built in the late 90's

with no problems.

A nice thing about a Haas is they normally just stop and throw an alarm if they get code they don't like

I am pretty sure the older Haas machines needed arcs broke at quadrants. I ran into a problem with this back when I was writing programs in notepad for an old VF3. Our control def here is set the same way as well and our machines are a little newer. So I have never tried 360 arcs.

I ran Haas machines from 1997, 98. Using MP Master, I set my arcs to break at 180. Works with the VF3, VF4, and Makino with a 18i. Never had a problem with comp on helix bores or any other tool path as long as there was a straight line move on entry. No real logic behind my choice. Break at 180. seemed like a good compromise for code length, it worked so I stuck with it.