Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Replacing my HDD with SSD...What to back up?

jeremy7440

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to replace my hdd with a ssd. I am doing a complete new Windows install. I recently switched to X7 and I have all of my machine definitions, posts, tool bars, etc. the way I want them. Can anyone tell me what files I should back up so I can transfer these items to my new install? I'm running Mill level 3 and Wire.

Thanks

Jeremy

Back Up anything that you dont want to lose.

I'm not being smarmy .... there *always* seems to be things you forget .... as far as Mcx goes, it will depend on WHERE you stored all your settings, etc.

In your Shared mcx dir, any custom machine simulation files. Also, if you have .SET files used for setup sheets, you'll want to grab all of them from their respective Mill/Lathe/Wire/Router public folders. If you use ActiveReports, grab everything in, and under, the mcamx7\common\reports\SST folder.

In your Mcx USER dir, grab the entire CONFIG dir. Also grab all the .xml/ini files in the base folder, if your verify is working well. Do you use auto backup? Want to save all those drawings? (and do you have plenty of backup space?) ... grab the MCX folder. You save off STL's for Verify? Look in the Data folder. All your posted code ? Look in each of the NC dirs under Mill/Lathe/Wire, etc.

Have any custom CHooks? Look in the Mcx Install/chooks dir. sort them by date, and you will see which were copied in there AFTER your install.

Do you have any local license files for Cimco/Verisurf/3rd party apps? back them up.

And if you are a super-geek, might as well export the reg tree from HKCU\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X7

Check your Documents folder for important files that you may have saved there, and export your bookmarks from your browser. (If we never hear from you again, we know you forgot to do that haa haa)

Good luck.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies!

My plan is to remove the original HDD, so I would still be able to access that if necessary. Here is a list of things that I am concerned about. Machine and control definitions, posts for my one mill and my one wire edm, power library for my edm, tool bars. There is probably something else I'm not thinking of right now... Most of this seems like it is in the "my mcamx7" folder. If I copy this folder to my external hard drive, I should be able to just drop it into my new X7 install...right? I don't typically use setup sheets. I'm not smart enough to make custom Chooks. LOL! I don't run any 3rd party stuff that won't come in with the new install. I will also grab my NC folders. Will I miss anything I mentioned if I just grab the "my mcamx7 folder"?

Thanks again!

Your machine, control defs and posts should be located in the shared directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx7

Backup this folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx6\CNC_MACHINES which will hold your machine and control def

then backup this folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcamx6\wire it will contain your post, power library and operations.