Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis machine

MSL

Guest MTB Technical Services

That's a loaded question.

It really depends on the kind of work and the size of that work.

What industry does your company serve?

We have an Okuma MU500V on the way to us right now. It arrives late August. 20k spindle, and with all the options (we didn't get the turning option because that limits the spindle speed to 12k)

We also considered the Matsuura MAM63, which is a really nice machine. They were similar pricing, but we are an all Okuma shop, and we have a good relationship with Okuma.

We have an Okuma MU500V on the way to us right now. It arrives late August. 20k spindle, and with all the options (we didn't get the turning option because that limits the spindle speed to 12k)

We also considered the Matsuura MAM63, which is a really nice machine. They were similar pricing, but we are an all Okuma shop, and we have a good relationship with Okuma.

Thanks Mick,

What kind of control you guys have. Any problem with controller or post?

You can't go wrong with the Okuma MU.

You might also want to check out Mitsui-Seiki.

The cool starts at about 1:25

Thanks Mick,

What kind of control you guys have. Any problem with controller or post?

Well, we don't have the machine yet, as it arrives at the end of August (it is on the boat at the moment). But, it is coming with the new P300 control. It is also the second generation MU series, so it has different guarding etc. One thing I like is that Okuma controls are really compatible with older versions. A programme from a OSP5000M control, from around 1984, will run on a P200M control from 2010.

As for posts, well, I got lots of mixed signals from various sources. I know Postability has a MU500 post, and ICAM can supply one. CNC Software have a MU400 post, but it is old, and missing a few features.

We built up a Vericut Machine and Control file for it too, and we have that working really well. :)

Thanks Bridgeportboy. But we are really disappointed with our DMG 5Axis machine.

Worked in a shop years ago (aerospace) with 18 DMU machines. Very unstable termically, required constant calibration of the pivot and gage distances dues to the termal issues. They forced us to buy one 3D calibration set for each machine (it's a software option) and refused to admit there was a problem with the machine design. They were making a serious money workarouding the machine problems with this 3D calibration set.

We bought some Hermle's later on and never looked back. The Hermle guys laughed at us when we said we had to calibrate it on a daily basis to machine accurate components. The DMGs could not hold a 0.02mm true position on a 3+2 operation if the machine was not calibrated before. If we had ten parts w/ tight tolerances a day, we had 9 calibrations avg. That was the only way we could have the part within the expected tolerances.

Let alone the post sales and they trying to cause you a heart attack when you have to replace a servomotor after warranty.

Hope to never have to mess with their stuff again.

• Like 1

We took delivery of an MU10000 horizontal 5X trunnion machine several months ago.

So far it's performance has been excellent.

If you're looking for a quality vertical 5X trunnion machine, you cannot go wrong with an

Okuma MU500 IMO

The rap on DMG, at least around here, used to be "Good Luck when you need it serviced."

Supposedly, that has changed as part of the DMG|Mori-Seiki partnership.

All the Mori service people have supposedly been cross-trained on DMG product.

can you elaborate? My boss is getting quotes on a big DMG mill/turn

Hi gcode.

We bought an Ultrasonic 20 linear DMG 2 or 3 years ago. We had problems right at the beginning with that machine. DMG technicians came from Germany trying to fix it a few times, but that didn’t help. They ended up replacing the machine. A few months ago smoke came out of the trunnion while the machine was on. DMG said they have to replace the trunnion and that costs 90k dollars.

I don't think I've every heard anyone with anything good to say about DMG.

On paper they look very impressive.

Apparently, one of our biggest customers is buying a couple of very large DMG Duoblock mill/turns.

Last week, my boss had me put a package of blueprints and models together for the local

dealer to run time studies on with the idea of getting one ourselves.

We have an old JOBS gantry mill here, and there are maybe 2 service techs in the entire US.

I've seen that machine down of a month waiting on a service call. I sure don't want to get

in that boat with a new 3 or 4 million dollar machine

I don't think I've every heard anyone with anything good to say about DMG.

On paper they look very impressive.

Apparently, one of our biggest customers is buying a couple of very large DMG Duoblock mill/turns.

Last week, my boss had me put a package of blueprints and models together for the local

dealer to run time studies on with the idea of getting one ourselves.

We have an old JOBS gantry mill here, and there are maybe 2 service techs in the entire US.

I've seen that machine down of a month waiting on a service call. I sure don't want to get

in that boat with a new 3 or 4 million dollar machine

JOBS is Italian for boat anchor. LOL!

I remember working as a machinist back in CT, DOW/UT bought a JOBS off the floor at IMTS.

They could never get the ATC to work reliably and actually rigged a net from a pool skimmer

to catch the tools when the ATC dropped them!

We took delivery of an MU10000 horizontal 5X trunnion machine several months ago.

So far it's performance has been excellent.

If you're looking for a quality vertical 5X trunnion machine, you cannot go wrong with an

Okuma MU500 IMO

I hope to back that up in just over a months time, when our MU gets here :)

JOBS is Italian for boat anchor. LOL!

I remember working as a machinist back in CT, DOW/UT bought a JOBS off the floor at IMTS.

They could never get the ATC to work reliably and actually rigged a net from a pool skimmer

to catch the tools when the ATC dropped them!

LOL.. to make matters worse, we bought ours third hand. It was out in the yard under blue tarps at the time.

and then I really screwed it up.

I had a stainless steel job with a lot of deep hole drilling and I asked maintenance to get the through spindle coolant working.

They did. It ran for about 10 minutes, blew a line and filled the Z axis column with coolant.

The machine has been a deluxe hanger queen since then :help:

We have a Two Hermle 5 axis machines (C20 and C600) and we can't find anything to complain about. They are very accurate and stable. The Heidenhain controls makes them even better. We also have a Kitamura Mytrunnion-5 (Ø 25" table) with a Fanuc control. Also the machine is very accurate but the Fanuc control on a 5 axis is not a complement to the machine. It's fine for 3+2 work but REALLY suffers in full 5 axis work. The control can't process code fast enough.

We do have a shop full of Okuma mills and can't say enough good about them. Very robust and reliable. However, I can't say either way on there 5 axis. I believe they are built on the MB platform. Which we do have the MB46 and MB56 and both are very rigid.

So which every path you take, I would stay away from any 5 axis machine with a Fanuc control. The Heidenhain control is far superior and makes setups fast and easy with the datum structure.