Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

opening X6 files with X7

Thoob

Besides the obvious drag the file to X7 icon, how do I get my X6 files to open with X7 without uninstalling X6. I don't want to uninstall X6 at the moment but want to open existing files with X7. Setting open with and a default does not work as both applications are called "mastercam"

I realize there are other ways, like file-open however an older file that is saved as an mcx6 will always open with X6 unless its uninstalled. It points to "mastercam" application which is identical for all Mastercam versions. Would be nice if they made the application name to match the version like mcam6 or mcam7 instead of the same every version.

Thoob,

By double clinking on the file to launch the program you are telling Windows to launch a Windows application, Windows is what is choosing what application to launch, yes, sometimes you can override the default program to launch, but McamX7 or X6 is not in control of that,....

I understand that hence why I am asking. When you select a default, it asks for the "application file" in this case "mastercam.exe". V6 and V7 are both called "mastercam.exe". Hell every single version of Mastercam I have worked with is called "mastercam.exe" This is what I am asking. How to get it to open with X7 and not X6. Even if I tell windows to open it with X7 from browsing, it still opens with X6. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. I'm sure you are not understanding what I am asking.

This works for me, use at your own risk....

Modify default value at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mcx-6file\shell\Open\command

to "C:\Program Files\mcamx7\Mastercam.exe" "%1" (Quotes are required)

There is a another value in this key called "command" that has gibberish in it, I have to delete this key to get it to work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

John thank you however you have to modify this key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Mastercam.exe\shell\open\command. Change the value data to "C:\Program Files\mcamx7\Mastercam.exe" "%1"

The path you give leads to a dead end.

Maybe we can sticky this? This should be the same for each version. Just change the mcamx# accordingly.