Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Change file extensions to mcx-7

Hertz

I have X7 currently installed on my computer. I have a bunch of files from X6 that are .mcx-6 files. When I open one up and hit save, it makes a duplicate copy but in mcx-7.I found a program that changes the extension quickly and efficiently. Another reason for changing it is so you can see the preview window. With an mcx-6 file, the preview window is blank.

Bulk Extension Changer. Its Free.

http://sourceforge.n...e-c/?source=dlp

I have X7 currently installed on my computer. I have a bunch of files from X6 that are .mcx-6 files. When I open one up and hit save, it makes a duplicate copy but in mcx-7.I found a program that changes the extension quickly and efficiently. Another reason for changing it is so you can see the preview window. With an mcx-6 file, the preview window is blank.

Bulk Extension Changer. Its Free.

http://sourceforge.n...e-c/?source=dlp

even "free"-er ... one line dos command ...

ren *.mcx-6 *.mcx-7

@rocheey1 - I tried the cmd prompt commands first. Windows rename command is limited. The ren command won't work. Not on my machine anyway.

I did "shift+rightclick" on the folder I wanted to change and selected "open command window here"

Typed in ren *.mcx-6 *.mcx-7

I get the following message "The system cannot find the file specified"

@John - I did the update folder utility originally. Does not change them. They were created with X6 so the file extension stays as mcx-6. FWIW I did do a test on a folder to see how it worked and it was fine, files still opened ok, and the preview pane worked. So its ok :)

@Crazy - That is what I am trying to avoid. I don't want to open and duplicate them all. I mean I suppose I could use the utility to duplicate them. Then i would have to find one to delete all the X6 duplicates. I think problemns would only occur if you went the other way and switched them to say X5. X7 will open all X6 files but X5 will not open X6.

Was just a suggestion. If a moderator feels this shouldn't be here, feel free to delete it. I just thought it might help.