Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lag when selecting machine definition or opening/saving files

Cannon

I have a new computer Dell optiPlex 3010 with Intel Core i5-3470, 16GB of ram, SSD drive and Radeon HD 7570 1GB. When I select machine definition or do any task that requires opening or saving files in another directory, I have a noticable lag maybe 5 -10 seconds. I have all my files in this computer so this is not a network issue. It happens both X6 and X7. This only happens in Mastercam, everything else works fast. What could cause this lag?

No antivirus software. This is pure programming computer and its not connected to internet. All the settings are in their default folders exept machine definitions. I have also installed X7 again but no effect. This is 64bit Windows 7 machine. Im running out of options here..

I havent got new video card drivers yet because it seems I cant download ati drivers individually anymore, have to use their analyzing software and get the machine connected to internet.

The machine only has one ssd drive and there is maybe 20-30 percent storage space left, I read somewhere that it could slow the computer down. Has anyone experienced something like this?

The machine only has one ssd drive and there is maybe 20-30 percent storage space left, I read somewhere that it could slow the computer down. Has anyone experienced something like this?

It shouldn't start slowing down until you have minimal space left like less than 5gb, but that's on a regular HDD, I'm not sure if SSD's slow down at all.

its something in the software.. i have been complaining to the IT guy about it ever since upgrade to 6..never had this issue in X5. we have yet to install X7 due to all the issue that have been posted on here. X6 is up and running stable and cannot afford the down time due to bugs or crashes that may risk by the upgrage to X7..

Corrupted registry keys related to right click context menu can cause delays in file opening, especially if the PC is part of a network workgroup or domain. (A network, in brief)

Some years ago I faced a problem that file operations and related stuff were hell slow in a brand new Dell Precision I was using. One day I unplugged the network cable, I don't recall the reason, and then I noticed when using file open/save and the right click context menu they were fast as expected.

http://windowsxp.mvp...wrightclick.htm

http://answers.micro...36-b5b9803263ee

Downloaded a registry cleaner and got it fixed.

Perhaps is totally unrelated to your issue here... but who knows...

There's not much fault that can be introduced by a developer in the way a Windows app opens a folder dialog or perform a file operation. All these "events" are standardized calls using Windows API, so Mastercam, NX, Notepad or CIMCO-Edit, all them are compiled in specific ways by their developers, but the result is nearly the same: They call the same API function to deliver you a file open dialog. The programming language may vary, but the result after the compilation is nearly the same, as there's no reason for Microsoft to create 50 different API calls to open a file dialog. It's just one or two, that can be customized depending how, which, and how many parameters (arguments) you pass to the function.

So there's not much fault on this that can be caused by Mastercam. Anti-virus software and corrupt registry keys are more prone to be the culprits here.

Just my 1 cent...

Corrupted registry keys related to right click context menu can cause delays in file opening, especially if the PC is part of a network workgroup or domain. (A network, in brief)

Some years ago I faced a problem that file operations and related stuff were hell slow in a brand new Dell Precision I was using. One day I unplugged the network cable, I don't recall the reason, and then I noticed when using file open/save and the right click context menu they were fast as expected.

http://windowsxp.mvp...wrightclick.htm

http://answers.micro...36-b5b9803263ee

Downloaded a registry cleaner and got it fixed.

Perhaps is totally unrelated to your issue here... but who knows...

There's not much fault that can be introduced by a developer in the way a Windows app opens a folder dialog or perform a file operation. All these "events" are standardized calls using Windows API, so Mastercam, NX, Notepad or CIMCO-Edit, all them are compiled in specific ways by their developers, but the result is nearly the same: They call the same API function to deliver you a file open dialog. The programming language may vary, but the result after the compilation is nearly the same, as there's no reason for Microsoft to create 50 different API calls to open a file dialog. It's just one or two, that can be customized depending how, which, and how many parameters (arguments) you pass to the function.

So there's not much fault on this that can be caused by Mastercam. Anti-virus software and corrupt registry keys are more prone to be the culprits here.

Just my 1 cent...

This computer 1 is part of a workgroup and shares MCX part file directories and machine definitions to programming computer 2. These directories are located at this computer 1 so I never thought the network could have anything to do with the lag. Thanks for the advices Watcher.

You are welcome.

Unplug the computer 1 network cable and see if it goes faster. The problem with these context handlers and registry keys is that if they are corrupted, they may be causing the O/S to search for a resource that it is in a location that no longer exists, locally or in the network, even though they are not in the folder you are attempting to browse via Mastercam. It happens in the background.

When the O/S tries to search for a file, it does it using a process called "enumeration". When the PC is on a network, it tries to "solve" the addresses and enumerate them, so when they are not available or pointing to a wrong location, the O/S tries to find them anyways, thus causing the lags. It's not Mastercam taking ages to respond to you: It's the O/S. Mastercam only triggers the action, and becomes unresponsive because it is also awaiting for the O/S to return to it.

These problems are often hard to track and requires a lot of attempts and reading of tech articles out there. Many of my computer skills were obtained fighting these invisible ghosts...

• Like 2

You were right Watcher! Today I went and unplugged network cable from the computer and after that everything opened lightning fast. I ran ccleaner registry clean but the computer is still slow after I connect the network cable back. I will try the ShellExView software next when I have time.

• 3 months later...

Nice analysis Watcher! Great troubleshooting skills.

I would start searching the registry for links to the other computer (i.e. Look for //compy2 or //192.168.1.102 or whatever your other computers' ip address is), and see if it's some saved favorite or application path looking for that every time you open it.

Some of the registry cleaning programs may only find it as a problem if you're disconnected from the network.

Good luck!