Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 install on new computer

AEP

I recieved a new computer last week, When installing X7 it would not instal because because it claimed there was an "invalid drive". The error message was " Error 1327 Invalid Drive: U:\" Our IT guy made a fake address in My Documents for the U drive. Mastercam was happy and allowed it'self to be installed. Friday one of our corprate IT guys attempted to remotely map the U drive, which is apparently the off site back up location. He was unsuccesful, and is passing it off to our in house IT guy.. UGH.. Now I am unable to run verification.. It kicks up an error.. "Error occured in ResetSession: UBVS application could not be initialized". Im sure it is because mastercam cannot find a file it needs to operate verifaction..

I have gone in to the config settings and re entered all the correct file locations, but it still won't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would appreciate the help..

Anyone have any ideas?

Complete uninstall /reinstall,...

uninstall, delete the folders associated with the install, wipe the registry keys and reboot

Reinstall and do not try pushing the documents files to a server location, allow them to load into the default root C shared & user documents location, if there is a script running to send the documents to the server shut it down.

I attempted to do a uninstall/ re-install, No luck.. Called my re-seller who's tech help guy can only blame my computer and my company's IT-back up policy and location. Was absolutely no help whats so ever. He promised to call CNC software and get someone there to call me and attempt to help. Haven't heard from a soul yet..

Meanwhile... loaded X-6 and guess what? Verify WORKS!!! What was that thread about using X-6 until they come out with X7 SP589 and get all the bugs fixed?

Yea, Well i have been using X7 since it came out. For what I do the verify has never worked properly. I program A 5 axis mill turn, mill ops on the subspindle have never been right. CNC software claims to know about it.. But it Kind-of worked until the install on the new computer. Now it won't work at all! But X-6 does..

BTW, I have used every version of Mastercam since 6. Not X-6.. 6. Waaaaaay back In 1998.. so I think I have a little bit of an idea what has worked and what doesn't..

There doesn't seem to be an issue unless your tied in to a network.. If I had it to do over, I believe I would have installed Mastercam, got it working, then plugged it in to the network. But here I do not have that luxury, We have an IT department that does all that stuff.. I'm just stuck trying to make it work after they give up..

Sounds to me like your IT Department is redirecting the Public Documents folder (under which is the 'shared mcamx7' folder where your install appears to be looking for the missing files) and probably user profiles, to a mapped network drive for backup purposes.

My experience is Mastercam isn't happy with mapped drives for certain things. Especially when installed in part at a "fake address" which no longer exists. I suggest your IT Department use folder redirection instead of mapped drives for user data and public documents. When doing that, Mastercam uses the full UNC paths which it has no problems I'm aware of with.

After doing so, reinstall Mastercam. But before that delete all references to Mastercam X7 in the registry.

Good luck with that though. Sincerely. Many IT personnel couldn't give two flying hoots about their users and care only about doing as little as possible themselves. Once you get your problem resolved, get some new IT people who know how to properly design a network and give them time to slowly implement it.

Source: I manage an IT Department.

Exactly what problem are you having milling on the sub? Do this on a daily basis and haven't seen anything.

Mike

When drilling or milling using a c axis face drill/mill path, the first hole of the tool verification is correct, but each subsequent hole the tool flips 180 degrees and comes through the back of the part, like it would be if you were milling on the main spindle. I does it every time... c axis cross contours are fine, 5 axis tool paths are fine..

Sounds to me like your IT Department is redirecting the Public Documents folder (under which is the 'shared mcamx7' folder where your install appears to be looking for the missing files) and probably user profiles, to a mapped network drive for backup purposes.

My experience is Mastercam isn't happy with mapped drives for certain things. Especially when installed in part at a "fake address" which no longer exists. I suggest your IT Department use folder redirection instead of mapped drives for user data and public documents. When doing that, Mastercam uses the full UNC paths which it has no problems I'm aware of with.

After doing so, reinstall Mastercam. But before that delete all references to Mastercam X7 in the registry.

Good luck with that though. Sincerely. Many IT personnel couldn't give two flying hoots about their users and care only about doing as little as possible themselves. Once you get your problem resolved, get some new IT people who know how to properly design a network and give them time to slowly implement it.

Source: I manage an IT Department.

The problem started when I attempted to install Mastercam, It kicked up an " Error 1327. Invalid Drive U;\" And would not install until the U drive was "mapped" I don't pretend to know anything about this.. Once our IT Guy created the "fake" address, Mastercam installed and everything was fine until one of our corporate IT guys logged in to my computer and remotely mapped the U drive. Now everything works but the verification. It throwes an "Error occurred in ResetSession: UBVS application could not be initialized"

It seems as though you should just have to figure out what it is looking for, and help it find it?

The problem started when I attempted to install Mastercam, It kicked up an " Error 1327. Invalid Drive U;\" And would not install until the U drive was "mapped" I don't pretend to know anything about this.. Once our IT Guy created the "fake" address, Mastercam installed and everything was fine until one of our corporate IT guys logged in to my computer and remotely mapped the U drive. Now everything works but the verification. It throwes an "Error occurred in ResetSession: UBVS application could not be initialized"

It seems as though you should just have to figure out what it is looking for, and help it find it?

Your IT guy and the corporate IT guy need to collaborate about the drive mapping. To me, Mastercam appears to be looking for something which may not exist due to where the U drive was mapped during the install and after. What that something is, I don't know. Try the Mastercam logging utility, it may help.

X7 Verify uses some ini files that are located in the root of the users my mcamx7 folder.

If it can't find those files, Verify is not going to launch

Uh oh. Now you have me thinking.

Since Mastercam creates a my mcamx7 folder for each user on each users first launch, you should be able to delete the existing my mcam x7 folder, and the Mastercam X7 key and all it sub keys in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER to force Mastercam to "think" it's running for the first time as that user again, which will create and populate the new my mcamx7 folder.

I did that when we switched from roaming profiles to folder redirection (which changed the location of Documents folders) as it was much easier than editing the configs on all the installations.

I wonder what would happen if you went to System/Config/Files and defined new user and public folders that don't exist ?

Would X7 create fresh generic user and public files at the new location??

That' s basically what happens when a new user logs onto a computer and launches X7..

The first launch takes longer than usual because X7 is building a default my mcamx7 folder for the new user

AEP,

When drilling or milling using a c axis face drill/mill path, the first hole of the tool verification is correct, but each subsequent hole the tool flips 180 degrees and comes through the back of the part, like it would be if you were milling on the main spindle. I does it every time... c axis cross contours are fine, 5 axis tool paths are fine..

Please send in a part to [email protected] in regards to the c-axis drill and mill issue you describe. I would like to take a look at it and help you if I can. I have some examples here that work properly so I would be interested in seeing what's going on.

• 6 months later...