Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis for 3axis

brandon b

That sounds good. What can the multiaxis tool paths do for me that the surface and wireframe tool paths can't?

- Area limits without drawing containment boundary

- Force tool motion to comp to the center of the tool, or the rads or both

- Control what type of motion is done when a collision is found (move in ____ direction, retract, interpolate surface)

- Handles gaps very well

'"What can the multiaxis tool paths do for me that the surface and wireframe tool paths can't?"

I just started using them and am no expert by any means. IMO, they are more more flexible. Entry exit moves and approach, how they handle multiple surfaces, ability to keep the tool down. There are more options for everything. When you get a decent understanding of the traditional 3 axis paths and their limitations then start using the multi axis, you'll know what I'm talking about. I wish I had started using them earlier.

The flip side. There are more options for everything. A much higher learning curve is present.

My current go to multi axis path is Morph between surfaces.

I'm proficient in the traditional 3axis paths. Just we dint have multiaxis at work yet. I was just wondering if its something we should have.

I'm thinking I could use it for the undercut walls I have to do. I mostly use parallel and flow line. But yesterday I could not get them to do what I wanted. So I had to use the old wireframe loft tool path.

I'm proficient in the traditional 3axis paths. Just we dint have multiaxis at work yet. I was just wondering if its something we should have.

I'm thinking I could use it for the undercut walls I have to do. I mostly use parallel and flow line. But yesterday I could not get them to do what I wanted. So I had to use the old wireframe loft tool path.

it's possible depending on how you define your geometry. You can have it calculate and get the points on the undercut and then lock the tool to 3 axis motion.

That said, stock recognition in multiaxis still waterfalls in the direction of the plane it's made in so doesn't work for all undercut situations

say you want to contour a part at several Z levels

the part is irregular and the upper cuts would have a lot of air time with a conventional contour tool path.

Use the advance 5X suite.. set up a swarf toolpath restricted to 3X

pick your stock stl file, set your depth cuts and the air cuts are gone.

The linking page gives you incredible power over what the tool does when it hits air.

One downside though, no cutter comp support

I have not used them for roughing, but Colins reports some excellent results using the adaptive roughing settings.

He was going to put up a sample file, but he must have gotten busy.

Monday ill try and put up a sample of what I'm thinking. Its a standing leg that flows from a closed angle to a open angle. I could not get flowline to work cuz there are 4 surfaces on that wall. I ended up just using loft and chained the top and lower rail. Easy but damn! There's a ton of code . I messed with the Nci filter chook but gave up on it.

The linking page gives you incredible power over what the tool does when it hits air.

it sure does. Many people who use the paths don't go through the collision options much either. The 'retract tool' drop-down especially. People assume it's going to be a rapid move feature but instead it offers a ton of options as to what to do when the tool collides. I forget about it all the time