Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

solid overwrite new file

foolsh

i was doing some solids on a file,after saving,i tried to open another file,there was an error message warning,something liked solids need something,save yes or no,when i say no,my file that was opened became overwritten with that stupid file which i was doing solids on!and my that file i was opening became overwritten!i now have two similar files but different names,but both had that stupid file which i was doing solids on!now i have lost my other file!

It sounds like you needed to regen your solids before saving. It kinda sounds like you saved to the other file insted of getting it. I have done this before and lost files. frown.gif

Good thing I had my save backup running biggrin.gif

Hope this helps....

Have a good day smile.gif

Been there done that. I really like it when you are right in the middle of that and you get the four people stanind in line to ask you a question or one of the owners pulling you away to aks you opinion on this or that and forget where the hell you where. I have found Autosave is good but I have also found that is doing soem really involved model work I will take my origianl and save it as one name and then do all of my mods on a different file on even different levels so if by chance I do it again not really out anything but harddrive space.

Good Luck

Crazy Millman

thanks for all the replies,but the question is i didn't save it over the other file,i even save the file with the solid first before i open the other file!but it seems there is some connections when you have a file done with solids,and later on when want to open another file,it seems to overwrite that file!it has happened to me many times!

quote:

thanks for all the replies,but the question is i didn't save it over the other file,i even save the file with the solid first before i open the other file!but it seems there is some connections when you have a file done with solids,and later on when want to open another file,it seems to overwrite that file!it has happened to me many times!

I think your confusion may be related to the fact that MasterCAM does not 'save' files like most (all?) other Windows programs do.

When you select File|Save, MasterCAM does *not* save the file. What it does is open a dialog allowing you to select the file to save to, or specify a different file name. After you make your choice, MasterCAM then either asks you if you wish to overwrite (if you selected an exisitng file - even if it is the same file you are working on) or (if your solids are in an inconsistent state) warns you that the solid may not be valid. Only *after* answering one of those questions will MasterCAM actually write anything to disk.

If, after selecting 'Save', you were to inadvertently select the next file you wished to work, you'd overwrite it with whatever your current file was. This would almost always be bad.

File|Get can be even worse, as you are prompted to:

- Select the file you wish to use next

- Save the current file

- Pick the name of the file you wish to save to

If you select 'no' at step 2, you lose your work. If you select 'Yes' and then select 'Cancel' or hit 'escape' when presented with the second dialog box, you also loose your work.

Folks that have been using MasterCAM for a while figure this out pretty quickly. Nevertheless, I remember the frustration that I felt when, on the forst or second day of my first dealer training sesion, I managed to lose my whole day's effort without a trace. That I had been working with computers for some 15 years at that point only made me feel even more foolish.

actually it was none of those things!i know how to save or what has been answered.i think it could be something to do with the solids i have created,athough i had saved the file already before getting the next file,there was this error message about the solids created and then all of a sudden the file to be open got overwritten!