Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mazak NON Support

Harryman

Our Integrex PLC software includes a bug that sometimes alters the rapid override percentage from low to 100%.

Let's say I'm proving out a new program and I stop the machine on approach. Since it's a new program I probably have the rapid override set to 5%. I open the door, have a look, shut the door and press go... Bam! Ooops, Harry, you forgot to set the override BACK down to 5%. Now on a mill, that might not be such a big deal, but on the Integrex, a program that includes C axis rapid moves with a massive part must always be run at low overrides because the C overshoots, reverses, and overshoots a couple times before it settles down. Meantime, X, Y and Z have arrived, and if the part is irregularly shaped, stuff is now broken.

I asked for a change to the PLC to eliminate this crash potential. They want $3800. Am I the only person on earth that wants the machine to behave in safe, and predicable ways? tongue.gif Wouldn't a good machine builder WANT to remove software induced crashing?

Being a Integrex operator/programmer I would have to agree with you. I have run into instances where the retract points for angled machining would differ depending on whether you were running the program straight through or if you did a single process or a restart. Has caused me to screw up some parts from time to time. I have noticed that operating this machine is not for the faint of heart nor for someone with a short attention span. It is a machine that requires you undivided attention when proving a program or such.

That would prevent the thing from overloading. If I forget to turn the override BACK down and a big plate is in the machine, the C tries to go from zero-60 instantly and overloads, then the chuck spins down from a zillion RPM while I start the reboot.

The point is WTF? Who ever heard of a machine that just cranks up it's own rapid override?

quote:

warrenty item.

touchy subject with Mazak. their sevice guys wont touch anything outside of the original logic of the machine. we ask for some basic costomization and were told no. they have to report anything outside of the norm. we were told they are required to report anything to osha, say if you disable a door swicth. that can get you in big trouble. relly sucks in your case. sounds like a hazard to begin with

Well, the walls of the internet have ears.

I just got a call from Curt, my local service rep who has always tried his personal best to be helpful, and he has asked me to speak with him directly and discretely in the event that I might be dissatisfied with issues relating to Mazak.

I promised him that I will do that in the future, and here offer an appology for not discussing this quote with him before raising the issue on the Forum.

I further promise that I will gladly and positively report praiseworthy Mazak support as it occurs in the future.

I'd like to thank Emastercam for hosting this Forum.