Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Tape / Adhesive

Chris Rizzo

Howdy Folks,

Next week I've got some thin .040 - .095 titanium sheet I'm going to be profiling. I've used either double stick tape or 3M spray adhesive in the past for other "hard to hold" parts...usually plastics though. I've heard that there is some double-stick tape that people swear by, anybody got any recommendations? Also, I'm a bit skeptical with using coolant with the tape. eek.gif

We bought a case of tape that we found worked well but unfortunately Im on vacation and cant check where it came from ... lots of help I am.

I also used the Mitee Grip paper from Mitee Bite. Its thin sheet wax. You have to set up a hot plate though. It worked well for some heavier aluminum parts that I couldnt hold with vacuum.

CAM

We use 3M product #410. It is 3/4 wide 'double-back' tape, off white in color with a green plaid paper backing. Available in less than carton quantities at R.S. Hughes in LA area. Approx $10/roll Phone 818-686-9111

This works well for us holding anything from plastic to aluminum to Renshape.

I would ramp your contour with the smallest cutter practical, and try it dry with some air to clear the chips. The tape will soften with coolant but it may hold long enough to finish the cut. Good luck.

Thanks for all the input, fellas. +1 Cammamdo on mentioning that Mitee-Bite wax, I now remember seeing it at a tooling show and thinking, "I've got to remember that stuff"....maybe I'll give that a try.

Another great 3M product is Super 99 and Super 77. Both are spray adhesives that will hold like a son-of-a-bi%#ch. Bit of a mess to clean-up and occasionally wreck parts getting them un-stuck.

The Mitee-Grip works great! Well, except for the one 1/4-inch thick brass part that was a multiple contoured shape. I ended up annealing the brass because it twisted like a pretzel, popping it off the Mitee-Grip - amazing amount of force pent up in a piece of un-annealed metal!! Stuff works great though on small thin stock. I have even cut 0.002 shim stock in an intricate shape using this stuff. The part just floats off in hot water. biggrin.gif

+1 TheePres I have done both and wrok good. I have also used super glue to hold plates down also. The super 77 works great also. I have even used bonodo and a hot glue gun also. I would look at a laser or even a water jet, I had some plate done not to long ago out of alumumin that cost me less than $9 piece to ahve done.

Good Luck sound like you got a good idea where to go though.

Crazy Millman

Thanks for all the tips...I'll post back and let you know how things work out...I'm anxious to try that Mitee-Wax.

TheePres, great idea about the left-helix endmills. I'll look into that too.

Unfortunatly laser or H20 jet isn't really an option on these parts. "Send it out to the laser" is usually is my first reaction too! biggrin.gif

quote:

I have also used super glue

No machinist worth his salt is Ever without several bottles of Super Glue.

1001 uses in every shop.......One of my favorite things I ever did with superglue was to glue some rolls to a paralell for making precision measurements on a mold locks where a raidus would not let you use a mic on the edge.... smile.gif

Murlin

[ 10-04-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]