Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hello,

I have been a long time user of AUTOCAD, and proud to say that I have been looking for MASTERCAM my whole life!!

With out giving my life story, I started with autocad, than 3ds max, then inventer, to maya, and then I found Mastercam!

I Love it this is what I have been searching for I have awsome designs, inventions, ect in my head and cant draw for the life of me since i was 16 im been trying to get these ideas out and here I am!

Digressing;

Topic Key Mapping

Now Autocad is a bit diffrent in the sence that I was so good, I rarely had to draw mostly I type my dementions in the below command line. My drawing would be created above; example L+Enter = Line, Cir+Enter = Circle

Getting faster and more complex L+Enter,8.5,-9.4, L+Enter9.4,5.8 ect.

When I went to mastercam I have found the Key mapping under setting However, one Huge draw back is you can not use Shift+, this is a huge limitation to "Hot keys".

Also you can only use one letter, and my Mouse is functionless.

I can not right click + a letter or even use right click in general.

Any one else out there that likes to use Key mapping as much as I do?

I tell you I save hours over others by avoiding drop down menus and clicking Icons.

Lastly Im wondering if anyone has found the green check mark used as "OK" to add a hot key too?

gets annoing using a hot key to then turn around and have to click a icon almost makes the hot keys pointless.

Thanks,

Were the key mapping is so much different. Hotkeys for AutoCad is one thing Mastercam really does not do like that. Things can be done, but to the extent like AutoCad I do not think will be possible. There are somethings that can be done like enable power keys in the auto cursor settings that might help.

Lastly Im wondering if anyone has found the green check mark used as "OK" to add a hot key too?

Enter most times is the hot key for this function.

• 3 weeks later...

All great post! And as stated above alt, brings an on screen selector (dark area) in the menu bar. Then for example c brings the creat menu down then say L would give you line. This is great, and just want I was hoping for its much different than I am used to but deff better then selecting drop menus all day!!! Thanks for all your advise. Ps I'm about to buy x6 bundle, intro and advanced muilt axis training videos what are your thoughts? DVD only? Are work books just want the cd says but in writing? Anyone?

...Key Mapping... you can not use Shift+, this is a huge limitation to "Hot keys"... Also you can only use one letter, and my Mouse is functionless...

I use alt+q and alt+w so I'm sure you can use the alt+ with other letters too in the key mapping.

Be careful when mapping I know that I used numbers on my 10-key keypad (right of my keyboard) then later when using MC I would be in the middle of creating something and I was go to make it 1.23inches and 1 I had set to a line so MC would ask for a start point and I didn't know what was going on. I like using alt>C>L>E to make an end point line ect.