Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New computer

THEE THAINZ™

Guys I am looking at a new computer for home use and was wanting some feed back on the specs I have so far. I is from DELL and sells for around $1000.00

Thoughts and opinions please

Processor

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

Operating System

Windows® 7 Professional, 64Bit, English

8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Hard Drive

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 635 1GB DDR3

Warranty

1 Year ProSupport Service with 1 Year NBD Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis

What kind of work are you doing? Simple 2d stuff with no 3D to it? That will limb you along just fine. If you are doing more complex stuff I would look to the FX card and 16 gigs. If you are real intense like me I have this setup and wish I had double it.

M6600

i7-2960 4 core

32 Gigs

Nvidia FX Quardo 4000M

2 750 Gig 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drives

I am running 2 Dell HD 24" Screen from this with a External dual fan cooler and keyboard with wireless mouse.

Next Tower I am going to build was posted up not to long ago.

Will have a FX Quardo 6000 Video Card, Hottest i7 I can get and 64 gig of Memory and I really am considering the 128 gigs. I will be running Raid 1 with 2 512 SSD drives as well. Water Cooler should help keep it cool, but I am doing some files over 400mb on a daily bases and with some stl files pushing well over 1 million faces.

• Like 1

Get this....

http://www.offleaseavenue.com/servlet/Detail?no=57

They are actually running a W3565 @ 3.2 Ghz. The FX1800 is more than adequate for most things. it does have 2 1TB hard drives for storage and 1 500GB drive for your OS. I have gotten 1 for myself, plus 8 more for the shop (lots of Mcam seats were running OLD puters with Win XP on them...plus these make great office computers) The one I got for home is my media server (those 2 TB fill up fast!)

Wow, that's a killer deal... You can easily grab an SSD for your primary drive, and another 8 Gb of Ram and still be WAY under budget...

When I originally bought them they were priced around $290...when we looked at the cost up simply upgrading our current computers to Win7 it became impossible to pass up. They make excellent Mastercam machines.

Mastercam is a resource hungry software package. When I did Mastercam support I would go round and round about a customers computer being upgraded and fixing their problems. They would eventually upgrade and then those odd behaviors would cease (overall) and it was all rainbows and butterflies.

One thing that I noticed was that the Quadro series of video card plays the best with Mastercam vs. ATI and even the "gamer" NVidia type cards (GeForce). I have 24 gigs of ram on my system and I wish that I had a minimum of 36 gigs, RAM is cheap so that shouldn't be a problem. Another essential is having a solid state hard drive for your main and then have a 1 tb slave drive to store files. Mastercam also doesn't like having config type files anywhere except for the default locations. You have the ability to put any file anywhere you want but a lot of problems from customers have been solved by moving posts, configs, tool libraries, etc... to the default locations.

My current system has an octocore i7 processor, 24gb RAM, 4gb Quadro video card, and a 256gb SSD HDD. Mastercam still has issues with certain files. I will admit that I do 5 axis work that consists of hundreds of toolpaths, dozens of solids and stock models, and dozens of views. This would tax any system but once I talked the management into getting me my current system 10 minute regenerations turned into 30 seconds or so. That was with the same processor and video card but a traditional spin drive and 8gb of RAM.

I hope this helps a bit. A local computer builder puts together Mastercam specific computers and the tower alone will run $2,400 but more than worth it.

• 4 months later...

I know there are several of you that would rather order something other than Dell. However those that don't mind getting a 3 year Pro-Support Warranty along with a well tested solid computer that is proven to run Mastercam very well along with other CAD/CAM and general software needed.

If you can build your own system then you don't need to bother. Many Mastercam users don't build their own systems and don't want the headaches that may arise for supporting problems

Check out www.mysolidbox.com/mastercam SolidBox will speak with you and personally go what your needs and usage of Mastercam are to pick the best system to match your budget.

Sorry specs did not show up they are

4th Generation Intel i7-4770 Processor

Windows 7 pro

8GB dual channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive 6.0 Gb/s

Video card GeForce 635 1 GB DDR3

Putting quality components on a Dell $5.75 motherboard is like building a castle on base of sand.