Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-axis toolpath help needed

Bob W.

Is there a 5-axis toolpath equivalent of the 3-axis scallop surfacing toolpath? I have seen the multi-surface selection but I haven't looked too deeply into it to see if it will do what I want. It seems to do the equivalent of contour and parallel toolpaths. I need a scallop toolpath and convert to 5-axis is posting out with gouges so I want to try a different approach.

Bob take a 3 axis toolpath in a 3+2 close position that will get just about everything you need. Then back plot the toolpath and save the center line geometry to a level. Then use curve 5 axis with lines to control your axis and should be good to go. Can only do this with ball endmills.

HTH

Damn, didn't even think of that. Pretty slick idea, Thanks!

I have had some good results with triangular mesh as well.

Currently playing around with this and it looks very promising but a lot of guess and check...

Sounds like your 3 to 5 settings are a bit wonky.. Can you post up a file?

Jeremy is on the right path, though, if you want a specified scallop height, the Triangular Mesh toolpath will do it.

Gouges are showing up in Vericut when the B-axis (tilt) goes from a positive to negative angle. I'm pretty sure it is a post or setting issue, or maybe a Vericut setting issue. None of these gouges show up in back plot or verify.

Sounds like you're not using TCP in Vericut (or your file?), so you're seeing the mark from when the tool repositions before its' actual position is compensated.

How do I go about fixing that? I am not programming or machining the TCP control options on my machine, it is all point to point.

Okay, could someone please explain what a containment curve does? I have selected it to try and contain my toolpath to a certain region but it is violating drive and check surfaces, and the containment boundary all over the place. Very frustrating. My surface normals are all correct and I have tried several different settings but still get the same geometry violation. I am using the 2D containment curve around a small pocket that is being machined. All other surfaces are selected as check but it doesn't seem to matter.

Bob take a 3 axis toolpath in a 3+2 close position that will get just about everything you need. Then back plot the toolpath and save the center line geometry to a level. Then use curve 5 axis with lines to control your axis and should be good to go. Can only do this with ball endmills.

HTH

you have to make sure to use comp surfaces with this approach, and/or use center tool and no tool comp

How do I go about fixing that? I am not programming or machining the TCP control options on my machine, it is all point to point.

Bob - Do you mean you're not going to run the file on the machine with TCP?

Sorry if this is a recap, but I like to be thorough for anyone reading the thread :) TCP Basically allows the control to compensate for a tilt in angles all through a move, not just at the vector itself (like a G43.3 Tool Tip Comp would do).. If you only have Tool Tip Comp, you can get gouges in between the vectors, since the machine won't, say, move the Z to keep track of the B, and only adjust at the next vector.

You'll definitely want to have Vericut set up to match your machine, or you'll get false positives. I haven't used Vericut enough to know how to turn it on or off in there, though.. Sorry!

If you're not using it on the machine, try setting the file to use a MUCH finer step-over or Max Angle Step.. I generally set my max angle step to ~.125-.25* anyway..

Aaron,

The moves are already pretty fine (.010" max distance) and the gouges are huge, like the tool going on vacation through my part :-) I can't run TCP on my machine (Yet) because I don't have a post set up for it. It is something I do plan to implement in the near future though.