Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

importing pro-e/creo files

Hey everyone, hoping to gain some insight and maybe specifically help for my problem. I have the pro-e translator and solids on my seat. My question is once you do the analyze on the solid and it shows errors, is there a way to address the errors specifically? For example, I see the error similar to "vertice does not lie on face" or "self intersecting face" , when I click these I see them highlight in the graphics window, my question is what do those terms mean?? I have only had problems with a couple of files in the last few months of importing pro-e or .stp files. If this is something that needs addressed in the original database I would love to hear suggestions that I could pass on to the engineers, thanks.

Have them check their tolerances for saving the files. Make sure they have rebuilt the model before saving. Make sure they are not saving a ref model and on problem files do not be afraid to ask for surfaces, but make sure they have their tolerance settings set to .0001 for saving iges. Same would apply for .stp files as well.

HTH

I run ProE as well and there are a host of accuracy settings that can be adjusted in the config file to get better files out of ProE. Run a search on this forum as I know there have been very comprehensive posts about the subject in the past. I adjusted my config file a log time ago but I forgot what I changed. I don't have the translator so I usually import IGES files and it seems to work well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I know they are checking tolerances and whatever else is involved with the parent database, I think this is usually their first step. I just wanted to ask and see if maybe there was anything else I might be missing. The last time we had an issue it had to do with something the way the model was built. I don't know any terminology in Pro-E. but I gather there are several ways to generate a fillet or round in the database. Again, thanks for the fast responses, I will double check about the tolerance settings they are using.

"...is there a way to address the errors..."

One thing you can try - and this helped a lot with a set of files I just received from a German reseller - is to turn on 'healing' in the "Options" dialog just before importing the ProE file. It's not guaranteed to clear up everything, but it might help you get a clean model in.

"...is there a way to address the errors..."

One thing you can try - and this helped a lot with a set of files I just received from a German reseller - is to turn on 'healing' in the "Options" dialog just before importing the ProE file. It's not guaranteed to clear up everything, but it might help you get a clean model in.

Thanks, yes I have tried all the import options. It does indeed "fix" the one problem area compared to not having the heal option checked. When I do check solid it says no errors found. I have 2 issues with the part tho that aren't addressed. 1) when I change the filter on the high speed rest rough (to more than .0015 total) it gives me "error extracting at least one solid face". 2) the toolpath actually gouged the part, although it does not show in any of the stock models. I am a little confused by the 2nd, could this be a machine problem? Seems odd it is in the same area that is not ok if I don't use the heal, but I don't know why its not on the verify or the stock models.

p.s. I don't think its the 'dog-leg rapid' issue as this has never been a problem with this machine in the last 8 months.