Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis post/verification with Okuma MU400VA

Matthew

Good morning all.

We recently purchased an Okuma MU400VA.

I'm trying to determine what will be the best post/verification solution for us.

Currently I'm running a trial on the Mastercam post from our reseller which is working well.

Verify is matching what is output, but so far mostly 3+2.

I am currently programming a part that I've used a Surface Highspeed OPTI Rest toolpath and then using Convert to 5ax. Verify looks great. No gouges. However when I post it gives me unwind/retract warnings. I'm apprehensive about this after reading about some issues with this here.

We have looked at ICAM. It looks very good, but I've also read here that it doesn't solve all the problems.

There seem to be lots of positive comments about Vericut. I haven't had a chance to look at that yet but I think I will try to find a reseller on my area and try to have a demo of this.

Can anyone offer opinions or advice in this respect? Anyone else using Mastercam with an Okuma MU400VA? What verification/post setup are you using?

Thanks,

gcode has a MU1000 which is a horizontal.

We have a MU500VAII, which is the big brother to the MU400VA. So, I guess I am a good person to talk to :)

I've just been through all the process of setting up the post, and a Vericut machine model. Get in touch with me via pm, and I can give you plenty of advice :)

I believe that gcode has that machine.

LOL.. an MU-400 would fit on the table of our machine... j/k :laughing:

We have an MU-1000...

but seriously.... BUY VERICUT ....those unwind issues can destroy your machine if one catches you buy surprise.

While you're waiting for the delivery of your Vericut Machine set MR1 to 999. in your post.

That way if you do get an unwind the machine will rapid home before the tables start spinning.

You can also search your posted code for G00 Z999. to find any unwinds.

I ran our new MU1000 for 6 months without Vericut. It was the longest 6 months of my life

We also bought an ICAM post. Getting it dialed in was a long slog, but I've yet to get an unwind

on the vanes I'm doing.

Interestingly, I haven't encountered a rewind/retract to Z999 in all the time I have been working with this machine :)

But I agree with gcode. Vericut has saved our bacon (mmmm, bacon) a few times. Invaluable tool for 5 axis without a doubt.

Mick, that is one beast of a trunnion.

I'm asuming you modelled it to scale.... :D

It sure is modelled to scale. Actually, the models are supplied with the machine :)

But, it is no beast next to gcodes MU1000 trunnion. That is Hoover dam styles... :)

Choose the one that gives you good local support in your area.

Important, and often overlooked, that point. Thought speaking from experience, CGTech provides outstanding support, even when you're halfway round the world from them. Speaking from experience of course.... :)

Goode, did you buy the entire package from Icam, or just the post? I'm curious because if you still run the Icam code through vericut then what is the point of spending the money on the Icam solution? I could see if you just bought the post.

about the Mr1, I believe you are referring to the misc reals in the misc page on the toolpaths? Ours is setup to control supernurbs.

what causes the unwinds? Is this because the table can't go anymore in the direction it's going?

Greg, in house As our reseller is our closest solution. We looked at camplete which is also local and heavily used on the Matsuura machines, but they haven't done a post for okuma yet, so I believe we are going to look elsewhere.

icam is the next closest, but they are about 6 hours away.

I've emailed vericut looking for a reseller. Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. I was unable to find a "where to buy" page on their website. How long does it usually take to get vericut up and running?

Forgive me if some of these questions seem basic, I've been doing 5 axis work for a few years now but mostly 3+2 on our haas with

a trunnion. Not breaking any speed records on that machine so I'm able to catch a lot of movements in the machine that don't seem right. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury with the okuma. Most of our work can be handled with 3+2, but this one part is very large with small rads so I will probably need to surface it. The convert to 5 ax toolpaths looks good to tilt the toolholder away from the walls. I'll post up a picture of it tomorrow. Might not be big by some standards, but for us it's one of the largest parts we will machine so far.

Thanks for for all the advice.

Matt.

If Vericut has a machine/control file, it shouldn't take too long to get up and running. The CGTech classes are really good, and get you up to speed quickly. While they are based on the training sessions included with the software, by attending the class you have the benefit of being able to ask the instructor what you did wrong, and how to fix it (when you make a mistake) :)

They run classes in a few locations in the USA. I see they also do them in Montreal. On the last CGTech training course I attended in Irvine, there was a guy there from Manitoba.

Mick, I did check inhouse's web page for Vericut. They don't advertise it, only verisurf. I'll see what response I get from my request on cgtech's website.

Greg, I was trying to avoid the machine sim. The end goal here is a third-party verification, so I didn't want too spend much time on the machine sim. I had a little experience with it when we got our trunnion on the vf3 and I didn't find it worked that well.

Matt.

Goode, did you buy the entire package from Icam, or just the post? I'm curious because if you still run the Icam code through vericut then what is the point of spending the money on the Icam solution? I could see if you just bought the post.

I just bought an ICAM post.. I've heard the full ICAM solution is very good, but it's also expensive.

We already have Vericut so I couldn't justify a big expenditure to replicate something Vericut already does.

Certainly at the VERY minimum you should have machine SIM running

True, but it still isn't machine code simulation, and if your post outputs something it shouldn't, then you'll be shopping for new jeans, or a new job :)

• Like 1

Mick, I did check inhouse's web page for Vericut. They don't advertise it, only verisurf. I'll see what response I get from my request on cgtech's website.

Greg, I was trying to avoid the machine sim. The end goal here is a third-party verification, so I didn't want too spend much time on the machine sim. I had a little experience with it when we got our trunnion on the vf3 and I didn't find it worked that well.

Matt.

Regardless, get back in touch with me. I can help you out, and give you some pointers, as I have gone through what you will be going through, and I can save you some headaches :)

Matt.

I have a decent machsim setup for our MU-1000 and I use it constantly.

It is an excellent tool for checking travel limits, holder collisions, and smooth motion

for full 5 tool paths. I still use Vericut on the resulting gcode though.

I agree with Gcode machine SIM has a place, sure it does not use Gcode so therefore it is not the final check, but it will show you retracts and re-entrys and machine motion at a good speed.

But TCPC affects retracts and re-entries, and that's where a lot of problems are. I agree with gcode too, it has its place. Gcode and I have just been through all this, and Vericut really does show itself to be a major asset.