Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recycling Carbide

I don't know if this really belongs in this forum but I need some help. I work at a shop with machinists scattered across 3 shifts. For the (3) years I've worked here we have never recycled a piece of carbide. I have my suspicions about where its been going but that's another matter. I was wondering if I could get some input on how other shops have set up recycling programs. Any feedback on how to manage or enforce it would be greatly appreciated. I know vendor managed would be the easiest but I've been down that road trying to convince the higher powers here and Im done with that headache for a bit.

Thanks

At one point my work used to trade scrap carbide for reground endmills with a local grinder. This was quite frequently, but for the most part now we only send 3/4 end mills out to get cnc ground. Now inserts and junked endmills just pile up and I am sure things walk. I liked the idea of using a small grinder and being able to trade. But we had problems with getting quality regrinds and shop individuals not measuring the tool.

We have ours controlled by our toolvend system, so i know who takes out what, AND returned to a re-cycle bin, everything is logged out, and then registered as returned to the re-cyle bin. I know you have asked for this option, and as here our "powers" took a lot of convincing, It really is superd way to monitor tooling and returns.

We've got a big bin we send back to Kennametal and we split half the proceeds among the shop personnel. That way they rat each other out when people are taking it. Ask me how I know.

Mike

When you send them in, how much do you get per pound?

Carmen

There is a huge shortage of Tungsten, one of the main ingredients in carbide.....

Recycling will become much more important in the near future.

We recycle thru Seco Tools: http://www.secotools...ycling-Program/

Seco will recycle ANY carbide -- inserts, mills, drills, bars, anvils, and more -- but no steel, ceramic or cermet. We accept any amount of carbide from any manufacturer. The price depends on the market, and the total payment is based on used carbide price at the time of receipt by Seco.

YOU GET A GOOD PRICE FOR YOUR RECYCLABLE CARBIDE

There is money in your used cemented carbide products and Seco has made it easier than ever before to recycle them. As part of our worldwide recycling program, we purchase your used tools and pay you based on its current market value.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Upon request, we will email a Return Material (RM) form. Just call DHL and tell them it's a Seco carbide return. Attach the form to the shipment and DHL will take it to us.

Seco pays for transportation.

Upon return, the used carbide will be sorted and weighed, and you will be paid by check.

Seco will also supply you with containers for collecting and shipping used carbide -- free!

Anyone can just call Sandvik, the main Sandvik Coromant phone number, tell whoever answers the phone you want to recycle some carbide. Send it in the $5.50 FLAT RATE! usps box. I recall over 40lbs will fit. (And now why is the usps flat broke? Cause jerks like me. :) )

I recall about 11$ a pound several months ago? Could be wrong on that.

• 1 year later...