Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 5 Axis Trunnions

We have multpile Haas Trunnions (2 - HRT160, 3 - HRT210)

If you look at the specs from Haas, the table is .125 below the center of a A axis rotation.

When we actually verify the measurement, it varies from .126 to .130 (every one is different)

Does anyone know if the tables are case hardened? We would like to machine and/or grind the tables to the same height.

Before my time here, they have been typically programming from center of rotation on these machines.

That obviously becomes an issue when moving a job from one machine to another.

What other options are there?

We don't have probes on these machines. (that's a whole other story...)

I suppose Haas doesn't have any adjustability in the height of the table.

Before my time here, they have been typically programming from center of rotation on these machines.

That obviously becomes an issue when moving a job from one machine to another.

What other options are there?

We don't have probes on these machines. (that's a whole other story...)

I suppose Haas doesn't have any adjustability in the height of the table.

If you aren't moving them from machine, and they are more or less dedicated to a machining center it is much easier to just change the Z axis grid shift then to grind or shim the tables. Make sure you shift the tool change position by the same amount, or even better, use the opportunity to set the tool change position properly (rarely done correctly by most techs).

If you aren't moving them from machine, and they are more or less dedicated to a machining center it is much easier to just change the Z axis grid shift then to grind or shim the tables. Make sure you shift the tool change position by the same amount, or even better, use the opportunity to set the tool change position properly (rarely done correctly by most techs).

The problem isn't the Z axis height - so much as the distance between the platter top and the A axis center of rotation. So one machine is at .125, and another is at .130. When you move a program to the other machine, your Y axis is off .005 at A-90.

Kevin, now that Haas is offering G54.2 and TCP on their newest 5 axis machine, have you checked to see if they can upgrade existing machines with those options?

The problem isn't the Z axis height - so much as the distance between the platter top and the A axis center of rotation. So one machine is at .125, and another is at .130. When you move a program to the other machine, your Y axis is off .005 at A-90.

Kevin, now that Haas is offering G54.2 and TCP on their newest 5 axis machine, have you checked to see if they can upgrade existing machines with those options?

Oh Durrr, you're right.

G54.2 and TCP would be nice upgrades, but would likely need at least an Eprom upgrade? Might be spendy (but worth it), but might be a hard sell if they bought 5 axis machines without probes...

I'd add a plate of steel to each rotary to make them as close to exact as you can get them. You won't be able to make them perfect. Even all the high-end builders are a few microns off from each other.

I'm sure you've gone down this road, but I'll program everything in incremental. Move to a diff machine and bump model up or down and regen.

Then he's got two programs to deal with. That's no good. But, you make a great point about your settings being in incremental. That's a HUGE timesaver.