Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Annealed Spring Stock

Bubba85

Does anyone have any experience machining this stuff. I need to make a part that will eventually be a spring to a couple of our machines. The material is called out as as annealed spring steel .010 thick. I plan on using our vacuum table router to machine them i just have no idea where to start. What kind of tool am i going to need and what kind of feeds and speeds am i looking at. Any advice would be great.

I would chime in on this if I felt I had a qualified answer for you. I have not cut spring steel in about 20 years. I will caution you about taking some people's information at face value. It is not in their best interests to provide accurate information. A little background can be found here:

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=77973&st=20

I am sure that someone will come along with some helpful information. Good Luck! :cheers:

1018 is not like 1095.

1018 is more machinable, but not typically used for springs, but that would depend on the function of what you're making.

What type of spring are you making? Maybe a little more info might help. I used to make all types many, many years ago. Typically we wouldn't machine much, mostly punched.

1018 is not like 1095.

1018 is more machinable, but not typically used for springs, but that would depend on the function of what you're making.

What type of spring are you making? Maybe a little more info might help. I used to make all types many, many years ago. Typically we wouldn't machine much, mostly punched.

Actually, annealed 1095 is almost exactly like hr 1018. I machine alot of it. Sorry for your limitation of aluminum. I am no fan of aluminum. You don't learn much working with easy to cut materials like that.

I would chime in on this if I felt I had a qualified answer for you. I have not cut spring steel in about 20 years. I will caution you about taking some people's information at face value. It is not in their best interests to provide accurate information. A little background can be found here:

http://www.emasterca...pic=77973&st=20

I am sure that someone will come along with some helpful information. Good Luck! :cheers:

OHHHHHH, are you still uposet about that? That's what I love about machinists. They are so easy to corrupt. When all they know and love is put into question (and they come to realize that ANYBODY could do their job), they crumble like potato chips and become so emotional. Just like my wife on her period. At least my wife recovers in about 4 days. :guitar: . The 4th is tomorrow. Should you be happily celebration your country's return to lack of independence? :fun: Sorry if I bruised your ego. It will heal.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Actually, annealed 1095 is almost exactly like hr 1018. I machine alot of it. Sorry for your limitation of aluminum. I am no fan of aluminum. You don't learn much working with easy to cut materials like that.

Spoken like a true neophyte.

1095 has more than 5x the carbon and half of the manganese of 1018

Machinablility for 1095 is relatively poor and is 17% less than 1018.

If your tool wear is almost identical for both materials, you aren't using the correct speeds and feeds and are costing your boss a lot of money. :laughing:

Pssst.....Zip up. Your ignorance is showing.

• Like 2

Well today is the day I must cut these parts. I am thankful for anyone who provided any useful info. Machining these is just temporary, just until the blank die is made. I will post what my final feeds and speeds end up being.

1018 is not like 1095.

The only thing I know about the spring is that it is to hold rivets and fasteners on our automatic riveting machines. I have no info on how much spring or strength they will end up being after heat treat. I am just looking for any info on the machinability of this material.

I have no idea what your deal is or why you feel the need to insult people. I am only trying to help the OP. I was a spring maker for the first 4 years of my career, so I thought I'd offer my limited knowledge. He can take from it what he wants.

As far as 1018 vs 1095, I'm not going to argue with you about it. The fact is there is 5x the amount of carbon in 1095. Calling them the same is BS.

I have no idea what your deal is or why you feel the need to insult people. I am only trying to help the OP. I was a spring maker for the first 4 years of my career, so I thought I'd offer my limited knowledge. He can take from it what he wants.

As far as 1018 vs 1095, I'm not going to argue with you about it. The fact is there is 5x the amount of carbon in 1095. Calling them the same is BS.

Agreed and see many like this come and go over the last decade just be glad when this one finally makes the stage left exit.

The fact that they are only .01" thick bugs me the most.

I made "spring fingers" out of "spring steel" many times. I can't remember the thickness off the top of my head, but I do remember that we machined them when they were way oversized (on the thickness), then ground them down to print.

The fact that they are only .01" thick bugs me the most.

Our vacuum tables do a pretty good job at holding down thin material. Just as a test we cut open a pop can laid it out flat on the table and cut it, just to see how well it would hold down thin material.

Well the material arrived later than anticipated, so hopefully i will be able to make parts today.

Thank you very much. My knowledge in machining is very limited, as this is the only shop I have worked for. They try not to take on anything too challenging because most of our workforce is either mentally or physically handicapped in some way.

That being said I have learned a lot from reading the forums here and applying what i have read to my job. It is great to know that there are good hearted people out there that want to help. I am young and want to learn as much as possible to further my career and help the next generation as well.

Thank you very much. My knowledge in machining is very limited, as this is the only shop I have worked for. They try not to take on anything too challenging because most of our workforce is either mentally or physically handicapped in some way.

That being said I have learned a lot from reading the forums here and applying what i have read to my job. It is great to know that there are good hearted people out there that want to help. I am young and want to learn as much as possible to further my career and help the next generation as well.

Bubba glad you are learning and please post any questions you have here and someone who cares to help and not belittle you will be glad to help. Keep up the good work and you will keep learning as you do so.