Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X8 For Solidworks Slow

nelsonhartley

Im runing the latest Beta version of X8 for Solidworks and I have never used a piece of software that runs so slow and jams my computer up so much. A part that should have taken an afternoon to programme has so far take about 2 days, simply because of how long I have to wait for mastercam to decide what to do next after almost every single thing I click or do. Does anybody else have these kind of issues??? Is it a problem with X8 Beta 3, or a problem with Mastercam for solidworks in general? Can I expect some kind of improvement with future updates? Any insight as to the kind of things that cause Mastercam to xxxx its pants would help me greatly.

Thanks.

what hardware and OS are you running?

I ran X8 MCfSW beta1 and 2 in SW 2014,

and I'm running beta3 in SW2015 beta 1.

I'm running some pretty big parts and not seeing any issues like this.

I have several fixtures that I maintain in SW and MCfSW

I add new parts to on a regular basis

When I get a new part I just create a new Assembly configuration.

Some of these files are 2 years old now and contain 100+ parts,

20+ configurations and 100+ toolpaths. They run with no trouble at all.

Are you running SolidWorks Real Graphics?

That can bring even a super computer to it's knees

I am running an i7 -2700k @ 3.8GHz, 16gb ram, 250gb SSD with 500mb read and write, and AMD GT5750 graphics card (I think... its pretty quick anyway). Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, Solidworks 2014... so not like I am running an old wind up computer or anything, but it lags something teriable. Every action has a 30 second to 10 minute wait associated with it. Forgetting to deselect 'Associativity Checking' is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. Another anoying thing is that whilst lagging, it will just randomly decide that I need to recompute a few toolpaths, even though all I have done is leave the room to bang my head against a different wall... which is followed by another 10minute wait while it recomputes them. 

I am thinking maybe I will reformat my entire system and start fresh, but realistically I don't think that will make any difference. 

Are there any known things that really mess with mastercam for solidworks??? When it does actually compute and post toolpaths, they run really nice. Its just so painful getting there.

That's a good rig, and should run MCfSW just fine.

Did you let Install use all the default locations?

Is SolidWorks installed in default locations?

Does SolidWorks run OK if Mastercam for SW is not enabled?

Do all files run badly or just you current project??

Does X7 MCFSW run OK?

I think I'd uninstall MCfSW/ clean things up per the beta install instructions and reinstall

before I did a do over on the whole system

I have un-installed and reinstalled both Solidworks and Mastercam... all into their default locations. I have never had any issues with Solidworks, sometimes if I have massive files open it will get a little slow, but nothing of note. McfSW has always been a little lazy, but mostly all I have used it for up until now is a bit of 2d high-speed machining and heaps of Cylinder head porting. This job is the first time I have used McfSW with any large amount of surfacing and 5 axis work.

Im really lost as to why its so slow... could an issue with an unsuported graphics card cause issues???

Solidworks RX tells me that my card is not supported, but as yet that has never been an issue, I can render big pictures in seconds and minutes. 

Try turning off the "Customer Feedback Program". You can find it in the help menu. Exit and re-start Mastercam once you turn it off. It was reported today that it was causing systems to run slowly/sluggish, or graphics jumping around in stand-alone mastercam.

Yes!  Thank You

Oh mannn... this was a problem I was getting frustated with!  Thanks guys... I was about to quit on X8, but this definitely fixed the problem for now. Dammmn thing was just so slow!   Does anyone have any issues with the Stock Model? every once in a while i'm getting the stock model getting trimmed off in to my part for no reason. No tool ever gets near in to my part but yet the stock model shows to be cut in areas it should'nt.... I was told to change a setting on my control definition (Rapid Motion Setting), and it seems to fix it for the most part but every once in a while it will do it again. Still does not make sence to change my Rapid setting on my post just to fix this problem that was not there in the previous versions. What do you guys think?

nelsonhartley,

Note: We also recently uncovered an issue were displaying toolpaths with a lot of motion, would cause SW to become very sluggish. We're currently testing the fix in an internal build that we should have out for test in the next couple weeks. In the mean time turning off the toolpath display on these types of toolpaths will temporarily avoid the issue.   

Sounds good!  Thanks.... I use 'stock model' every day, so this is a big problem for me because I noticed that changing my setting on my control def. to fix my CAM problem... the setting actually slows down my rapid motion on my Mill. So hopefully this does get resolved soon.

Yes I am.... stock model is good for multiple operations. But as i'm creating my toolpaths, I keep updating the stck model and it comes to a specific toolpath that for some reason (as explained by the mcam techs) the toolpath cuts across the stock itself into my part.