Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to rotate or move origin on this part?

R&C

this part was drew in solidworks. than brought into MX7.

I need to either rotate the part or move the origin 90 deg . if you open the file you will see what I'm asking.

I want to cut the part stuck out at the end of a vise.

How do I do this.

Thanks for you help

Where would you want the datum on this part? I assume if you want to rotate the part that your vise jaws run perpendicular to the X axis?

There are many ways to do it just depends on how you prefer to work. Are you used to translating the part to origin or do you prefer to Create a WCS and work from there?

I would create a bounding box around the part, then make a WCS and set my datum to a corner. Then  machine one half of the part. Create a new WCS and machine the opposite half. 

Thats my way and it may not be the best or easiest way to do it. HTH

I want to put it in a vise with the radius going down stuck out the end of the vise.

Than machine from one side to the top than down the other side all the way down to the nose of the part.

right now TOP plane is on the side of the part.

Xform translate 3D is allot of work. if you have used Dynamic WCS at all you can do this easier in Dynamic Xform. if you have not worked with Dynamic WCS look on my Youtube there is a few examples and more to com

I agree! Translate 3d is too many steps.

Jay's mehod will be the quickest by far the least amount of clicks for your dollar. However, It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you are used to translating your part to 0,0,0 all the time, I would suggest you fight through and use the method Jay is describing. It might take a while to get the hang of it but in the end you will love it.  Too many times we get caught up with what works and not what works best. 

Nice post Jay!

• Like 1