Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Models not matching prints

drafting3

I guess if you create all your own engineering documents and/or work for one customer with strict document control or only on internal parts, then this kind of certainty that the model is always master is understandable, but as someone who works in a job shop with a multitude of customers throughout the aerospace / defense industries it has been my experience that regardless of company size or industry there are bad designers / draftsman / engineers at pretty much all of them.

Maybe I have just been dealing with the everyday reality of a job shop environment for too long but I find the idea of models matching prints 100% of the time just about as likely as never hitting another red light in traffic again ever. Since in the real world you cannot change your customers bad habits, that is why our company makes sure to work with the customer before we start the job to define exactly what is the master.

so why wouldn't they change the model to directly update the print? 

PURE LAZINESS!

That's why.

I have a customer that over the course of 8 years and hundreds of prints, NOT ONCE have I received a print from him that I didn't have to redo in some fashion.. and these are ALL 2D prints!

What he likes to do is change the dimension and not change the wireframe to match.

Pure laziness, and if I ever meet him on the street, I will punch him in the mouth.

It's amazing that this guy still has a job.

• Like 1

I'm glad to know I'm not alone, but it's disheartening to know so many companies cut corners like this. This job is for a huge international company, as part of their prototype division. I feel like their engineering department should be above reproach.

I'm currently in school for Mechanical Engineering. I can't wait to finally make it so I can send out xxxxty prints and models ;)

I'm no rocket surgeon nor do I use some fancy schmancy CAD program, but even my software will update the print when I update the model. Much easier to do this than to "scribble up" the drawing.

Plus, when you are working on Rev23 (like my current project) of an assembly, it's nice to know that the model is current. Nothing like spending a week machining all the parts only to find that they don't fit together, all because the model didn't get updated. 

Man, am I glad we don't do job shop work anymore! ;)

PURE LAZINESS!

That's why.

I have a customer that over the course of 8 years and hundreds of prints, NOT ONCE have I received a print from him that I didn't have to redo in some fashion.. and these are ALL 2D prints!

What he likes to do is change the dimension and not change the wireframe to match.

Pure laziness, and if I ever meet him on the street, I will punch him in the mouth.

It's amazing that this guy still has a job.

its more like the norm, we get prints from the 80's still hand drawn
  • Like 1

Oh I got that beat... we have a customer that still gives us prints from the 50's on those dreaded .tif files that you can't read.  :realmad:

Ever get the mylar overlay prints? just set your part on a piece of mylar & if it falls within the outline is good. Simple concept unless the part is 3 dimensional....like they all are....