Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operation requires planar chain set ???

RandleXX

Thanks Merlin,

I have been banging my head with this problem. I tried just about everything ,brk to arcs, squash, trim entire geometry, ect. ect. Due to time constraints I had to export this project to Inventor to get the job done. I think this glitch is an error in MC's solids generating software.

brk to arcs in my experience works like crap if at all. What I end up doing to those darn problem splines most of the time is break/many them and then trace over them myself with arcs and lines.

One thing to remember about break/many is that by error gives you same length section lines and by error wiill give you complete lines where it can (instead of a bunch of little ones)

quote:

Thanks Lee,

I tried squash, and now I get this new error:

Parasolid® Kernal Interface error:

PK error code: 77 - unable to

find surface

That`s because you squashed some enteties that are associated with something or needed to something defenitions .folly frown.gif

Copy the geometry you wanna squash to some other level ,close all others and proceed to squash from there once more.

Don`t forget to delete -duplicate entities after that and run FINDOVLP.dll c-hook to clean from overlapping entities !

There are lot of ways to do this task .

Sent your file to FTP and somebode (may be me if i`ll have a time ) could help you!

ITHH

• 20 years later...
2 hours ago, JCaceres1 said:

Please guys I am a beginner, still have lots to learn. trying to Extrude/cut a chain (already wrap around a solid shape) error: The selected chains are not co-planar, please help. Thanks.

This means that the chain (splines/lines/arcs) are not on a single plane.  You have to have flat geometry to extrude a solid.    The commands above have morphed into Wireframe > Project in the years since this was posted originally.

If you're trying to wrap something around around a solid shape, you'll need to use Sweep instead of Extrude, though. 

Post up a file and someone can probably point you in the right direction.

Thank you so much Aaron, 

The chains are already wrap around my solid, I used option "Project"-Surface/Solid/Mesh, from there I don't see the point of achieving this if I won't be able to Extrude/ Cut the solid, as I said I am just learning. any other suggestion will be appreciated thanks.

Extrude Cut.JPG

Ah, yeah, you're doing complicated stuff there :)

The only thing I could think of to do with a shape like that would be to create a surface on each individual shape (like, each pedal) using Surfaces > Power Surface.  Then, convert that into a sheet body solid ( Solids > Solids from Surfaces).  Finally, you can use Solids > Thicken or  Model Prep > Push/Pull to make it thicker.  Finally, you can boolean those away.

But the real question is why do you need the solids removed?  Just to learn how to do it?  I'd toolpath directly off the wireframe you have in your image for actually cutting the part.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Ah, yeah, you're doing complicated stuff there :)

The only thing I could think of to do with a shape like that would be to create a surface on each individual shape (like, each pedal) using Surfaces > Power Surface.  Then, convert that into a sheet body solid ( Solids > Solids from Surfaces).  Finally, you can use Solids > Thicken or  Model Prep > Push/Pull to make it thicker.  Finally, you can boolean those away.

But the real question is why do you need the solids removed?  Just to learn how to do it?  I'd toolpath directly off the wireframe you have in your image for actually cutting the part.

To piggy back on this thought would be to make a surface of the vase shape. Then use trim to curves to trim the surfaces of each shape using normal verses plane and then use the above process to make them into solids if that is really what you are looking to achieve.