Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MRP software

Bob W.

Is there a software package that will track jobs, tools, etc... by bar code reader?  I know this is a pretty open ended question but I can see that in the near future adding the capability to manage tool libraries, job progress, material inventory, etc... will be very beneficial and I would like to find out what systems are available and at roughly what price.  Also, do the various systems integrate with Mastercam, Vericut, etc...?  Just starting to look into this and it is probably a year or two down the road.  Any input would be appreciated.

Integrated into Mastercam? Not any I am aware of maybe the crew at MCAMNW can point you in the right direction. Many different systems out there, but one I would steer you away from is Oracle. I know some shops running Epicor and like it and then some hate it. Job Boss is one and E2 is another. Many different systems out there just really comes down to how much work you are willing to do on your end to make it work the best way. No system is perfect IMHO. They all have things they do very well and just up to the end user to decide how to make the one they get work best for their process.

Do your homework and research and talk to others and get a feel for what works and what does not and then go from there. Plan on 3 to 6 months before it is doing 50% of what you would expect it to do. Maybe be a full 1 to 2 years before you got it really doing what you want. Helps you are going in an ISO direction, but ERP is a totally different process and method. I was the Job Boss admin at one place and biggest issues was people putting the stuff in correctly and then clocking in and out of the travelers. Seems no matter how easy or how simplistic it is the old to lazy to do it still kicks in.

• Like 1
Guest MTB Technical Services

TopSolid has ERP integrated into their cad/cam suite, pretty genius if you ask me.

Otherwise you can look into Infor, Jobboss etc.

They have PDM built into the software.

It's not ERP despite their marketing.

Two completely different things.

Is there a software package that will track jobs, tools, etc... by bar code reader?  I know this is a pretty open ended question but I can see that in the near future adding the capability to manage tool libraries, job progress, material inventory, etc... will be very beneficial and I would like to find out what systems are available and at roughly what price.  Also, do the various systems integrate with Mastercam, Vericut, etc...?  Just starting to look into this and it is probably a year or two down the road.  Any input would be appreciated.

For Tool Management, WInTool or TDM Systems.

For PDM, PDMWorks Enterprise

For true ERP,

http://www.exactamerica.com/

All three can talk to each other as they all use SQL Server.

If you are thinking truly long-term, SAP  for ERP is top of the food chain.

For Tool Management, WInTool or TDM Systems.

For PDM, PDMWorks Enterprise

For true ERP,

http://www.exactamerica.com/

All three can talk to each other as they all use SQL Server.

If you are thinking truly long-term, SAP  for ERP is top of the food chain.

What exactly is SRP?  This is the first day I have started to investigate this area at all so I know almost nothing about it.  My ultimate goal is to get AS9100 certified but my reasons for wanting to implement this software is to improve the organization of my shop and track inventory (tools, materials), projects, and scheduling.  It would also be a great tool for accumulating and analyzing data, whether profitability by project, productivity, etc...  I currently have two employees in addition to myself so it is overkill at the moment but I believe it would become very valuable as we grow and now would be easiest time to begin to incorporate this sort of thing.  I have a call into E2 to get a demo and see what it can do and how it would apply to my shop.  I'm just starting the process of educating myself.

Bob I used Microsoft Acess to build a complete process for doing this about 15 years ago. I was able to make a pretty complete system. Taught me a lot about doing things. The bar code font is downloadable and the scanners are not that expensive. Need to learn Acess, but was not to hard to figure out. All any ERP system is is database program with a front end for inputting data. The work is in the quires, the inputting of data the sorting of the data and then the reporting of that data. The good one have figured out what most places need and have made the program work in that fashion. Yes I am breaking in down to very basic process, but that is how we educate ourselves into what any process is. What are the basics? Then figure out the proces. Then from there make a way to handle the proces, once that is done we either figure out how to do it ourselves or get what we need to help us do it. That is what a CAM program is. I can program just about anything old school, but why do it that way? Same here you could make Excel or Access do a lot of what you need for an ERP, but who would want to? I did 15 years ago because ERP systems were starting at $60 to $100k and for a $600k a year business what to much to bite off. Today I think you can get start for under $5k. I think some even have a month to month option now. Yes a lot to sort through, but they do help with AS9100 and good ones help with planning, job tracking, material ordering, inventory, tooling and so much more. Good luck with your quest and helpfully some of the more experienced folks will chime in.

What exactly is SRP?  This is the first day I have started to investigate this area at all so I know almost nothing about it.  My ultimate goal is to get AS9100 certified but my reasons for wanting to implement this software is to improve the organization of my shop and track inventory (tools, materials), projects, and scheduling.  It would also be a great tool for accumulating and analyzing data, whether profitability by project, productivity, etc...  I currently have two employees in addition to myself so it is overkill at the moment but I believe it would become very valuable as we grow and now would be easiest time to begin to incorporate this sort of thing.  I have a call into E2 to get a demo and see what it can do and how it would apply to my shop.  I'm just starting the process of educating myself.

Bob,

SAP is the top of the food chain when it comes to ERP/MRP.

Very powerful but steep learning curve and implementation hurdles.

I would start with a Tool Management system first.

Both WinTool and TDM can link to SAP and all the major ERP/MRP systems.

Both support bar coding as part of the integrated reports.

PDMWorks Enterprise is simply awesome for managing your CAD, CAM and CNC data.

I would avoid trying to develop your own ERP with Access.

While Ron is correct in that they are all just database applications, there's a lot more to it.

The concept is a relational database. Meaning that you are monitoring the relationships of all the data.

Access is fine for very small database files.

It doesn't work well with large enterprise level data that must be shared.

It has inherent limitations and bugs including having to routinely compact the mdb file itself.

You are much better off with a SQL Server based system as it's completely scalable.

With Access you will reach a point very quickly where you will be forced to migrate to a SQL Server based system.

All the major Tool Management, PDM and ERP systems are all SQL Server based and they are designed to link

multiple external data sources.

This will allow you to use a dedicated Tool Management App and a PDM App and have the ERP system serve as the

top level getting the data it needs directly from those existing systems.

We run our 11 cnc's off of a Works order spread sheet and a drywipe white board for the jobs.

High visibility are the white boards so nothing gets forgotten.

I have no experience with any tool data management but 'feel' we could do with some.

I have had a few years with Epicor Vantage and Triffid and a couple of customers run Sh!teline Siteline :D.  

All have good points and bad points but would be totally overkill for you imo.

We have an external quality auditor who annually visits and I've discussed Job Boss and a few others, as they have customers who use them.

Their advise was that for the size of our company, stay with what we're doing.

So a few slick spread sheets I'd go with :D

Tim - your statement of 'PDMWorks Enterprise is simply awesome for managing your CAD, CAM and CNC data'.

What can it do/how does it do it?

:cheers:

We run our 11 cnc's off of a Works order spread sheet and a drywipe white board for the jobs.

High visibility are the white boards so nothing gets forgotten.

I have no experience with any tool data management but 'feel' we could do with some.

I have had a few years with Epicor Vantage and Triffid and a couple of customers run Sh!teline Siteline :D.  

All have good points and bad points but would be totally overkill for you imo.

We have an external quality auditor who annually visits and I've discussed Job Boss and a few others, as they have customers who use them.

Their advise was that for the size of our company, stay with what we're doing.

So a few slick spread sheets I'd go with :D

Tim - your statement of 'PDMWorks Enterprise is simply awesome for managing your CAD, CAM and CNC data'.

What can it do/how does it do it?

:cheers:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/product-data-management/solidworks-enterprise-pdm.htm