Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7, Curve set defines no face????????

slyym

Spent a good 2 1/2 days creating a pretty complex solid model of a part I'm working on. Also models of various stages of roughing. Go to use the simulator, pick the correct stock model than Bam!! " Curve set defines no face" than half the solid operations go dirty and cant regenerate them at all. Even going back and picking the geometry wont solve the problem. I cant even start creating the model over with out getting that error. Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a fix? This SUX!!! 

Well I think I've narrowed it down to the curves that are causing the problem, at least I think. But there is nothing wrong with them. Recreating those curves allows me to start regenerating the model though. I do have about 30 Boolean operations using the same curve. Yall think that might be it?

Sly if the file was in the original state where the solid you had on the screen was good you could have saved it out as a parasolid or something before X8. In X8 they removed the ability to save files with Dirty Solids. Not the best decision in my humble opinion. It is cases just like this where that ability to save a file with a dirty solid would be crucial. Other times when you are messing around with a file and make a solid dirty by accident it would also be nice to save your work without risking losing hours and hours or work, because you cannot save a file with a dirty solid. Best best it to save the solid to a Level and use the Remove all Solid History and get something. Then delete the offending Solid and do what you can to get back to where you got. I am at the point where I am making my solid in X7 and then going back and forth between X7 and X8 until this issue gets put back to what it originally was for so many years.

Never thought about removing the solid history before. Are there any drawbacks to doing that? Obviously I wouldn't be able to edit any features but I usually check everything a million times anyways.

The obvious ones are you lose the history as it becomes a dumb brick, but I have done for toolpaths Mastercam acts a lot nicer it the solid is dumb brick verses a live entity. I will also take a part that I am doing HST toolpaths on and remove all internal features that are not going to be machined by the HST operation. If will even go as far as to remove edge breaks and such to really limit how many surfaces the HST toolpaths have to see for processing the information. I am seeing upwards or 40-70% reduction in calculations times verses using the same part with all the solid features inside of it.

I'm a little nervous now. I worked from X3 to X7 at my old job with absolutely NO problems what so ever. I would always see people complaining on here about Mastercam sucking with all its problems and bugs and just didn't get it cause I had 0 problems or bugs show up. And that was on a mediocre computer to boot. Now a week into a new job this happens. Oh and also, when I came in this morning and opened this file up for the first time, It opened up with zero of my 268 toolpath operations!!!! I almost fainted, seriously! Then a couple hours in is when the model problem happened. And this is all on a computer that is 10 times what I was using before. Which makes me think that most problems with Mastercam and other like software is all dependent on the computer your using.

The obvious ones are you lose the history as it becomes a dumb brick, but I have done for toolpaths Mastercam acts a lot nicer it the solid is dumb brick verses a live entity. I will also take a part that I am doing HST toolpaths on and remove all internal features that are not going to be machined by the HST operation. If will even go as far as to remove edge breaks and such to really limit how many surfaces the HST toolpaths have to see for processing the information. I am seeing upwards or 40-70% reduction in calculations times verses using the same part with all the solid features inside of it.

+1 on this. If I'm drawing a solid from scratch, I draw it to completion. I then copy it to different levels, and in each copy I'll go back and delete any solid operations that might affect my toolpathing, such as fillets, or holes. After I am satisfied, I remove the solid history operation from each modified solid. I save my "live" original solid as a different file in a different folder, and only use it for reference in the future.

If I use a customer supplied model, they don't have a history attached, so I just copy them to different levels and use the fancy new model prep tools to remove fillets and holes and such. Then I remove the history from those solids.

Having a "dumb" solid makes a load of difference, in my opinion.

I'm a little nervous now. I worked from X3 to X7 at my old job with absolutely NO problems what so ever. I would always see people complaining on here about Mastercam sucking with all its problems and bugs and just didn't get it cause I had 0 problems or bugs show up. And that was on a mediocre computer to boot. Now a week into a new job this happens. Oh and also, when I came in this morning and opened this file up for the first time, It opened up with zero of my 268 toolpath operations!!!! I almost fainted, seriously! Then a couple hours in is when the model problem happened. And this is all on a computer that is 10 times what I was using before. Which makes me think that most problems with Mastercam and other like software is all dependent on the computer your using.

slyym - how big is the file - sounds to me like they might be at the limit of stability as far as Mastercam goes - When I am doing mould work I often have to split my files up. Last mould required 5 different files to get it done !

slyym - how big is the file - sounds to me like they might be at the limit of stability as far as Mastercam goes - When I am doing mould work I often have to split my files up. Last mould required 5 different files to get it done !

11.4 MB. Not too big I don't think.  I've run into that problem before with a computer that didn't have enough ram but the computer I have now has 32G of ram.